Green as Grass

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Coleman, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Bill Coleman

Bill Coleman Auditioning

Hi
    This is my first post and as you will see I know squat about a/v setup. I am trying to hook-up my projection tv to be run from my receiver. Can anyone explain to me the procedure to follow to accomplish this.
    Thanks
    Bill
    Samsung 54" projection with s-video, rca outputs (2) component video input and monitor out (rca).
    Kenwood VR509 receiver with every imaginable in and out. Well it seems that way to me.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    If it will help here are two sites that show the hook-ups at the rear of the components.
    http://www.samsungusa.com/cmc_upload.../PCL541-2R.pdf
    ftp://upload.kenwoodusa.com/pub/manuals/vr509.pdf
    They are in pdf format
    Thanks again

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Bill,
    Welcome to the HTF! Don't worry, we all start out a little green when we get here- but I think you'll find enough helpful people and plenty to read here at the HTF that you won't be green for long (maybe green with envy over some of your fellow members' setups, but...)
    What you need to do is figure out what audio or video source devices you want to be using with yor receiver- that will influence how you set it all up.
    Do you have a DVD player? A VCR? A CD player? Sat receiver or cable box? Video games? What kind of outputs do these devices offer?
    All this will influence how you connect your system.
    Making this determination will be step one.
    If you'd like to- you should take a minute to locate the various outputs available on your new Receiver.
    There are at 3 outputs on your receiver (marked "Monitor Out") that can be used to send video signal to your TV set:
    -- one is a composite type output located on the far left side of the receiver- in the cluster containing Video1 In, Video2 In, Video3 In, etc. It is a rca-type connector jack marked MONITOR OUT.
    -- the second output type is svideo, located in the middle, near the top- in the row of SVIDEO connectors. It is also labelled monitor out.
    -- the third output type is Component. Your compinent output is located to the right of the row of SVIDEO connectors- right above the main speaker connectors. Component looks kinda like the composite jacks- RCA type connectors- although you might notice that each set of component ins/outs consists of 3 jacks instead of one. Component- as I'm sure you realized from your TV inputs- takes 3 wires. Like the others, the component input is labelled "monitor out".
    Depending on what video and audio sources you personally have to connect into the receiver-- you may use one, two, or even all three of those outputs to your TV set.
    Component is usually the best looking video signal carrier, follower by svideo, and then composite. However- not all source devices offer Component connections- and some don't even offer svideo.
    In addition, each of these monitor outputs on your receiver can only output the same signal they get in. So if you'd want to connect from your reciever to your TV using svideo output exclusively- all of your devices would have to be going into the receiver using Svideo.
    If you had one device that doesn't have svideo, say a VCR for example that only has a composite connector, you would then have to use both the svideo monitor connection and the composite monitor connection in order to get signal through the receiver for the VCR.
    In other words- the receiver cannot convert one signal type into another. If it comes into the receiver as composite, it has to go back out via the composite output jack. If it comes into the receiver as svideo, it has to go back out via the svideo monitor jack. If it comes into the receiver as component, it has to go back out via the component monitor jacks.
    So, like I said- which outputs you will need to connect to your TV will be determined by which input types you have. So, first we should determine that-- and maybe you should take a second to find all 3 outputs on the receiver- just so you know where they are.
    -Vince

3. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Welcome to the HTF!!

OK, I don't see a component in/output on your receiver, so, IMHO the best you can do is:

Hook all your video outs, except your DVD, up to your receiver. Hook video out of receiver to your TV, via S-video. DVD video out direct to the TV. All audio outs direct to the receiver.

This is just a "quick and dirty" suggestion. As Vince says, with more info we could probably tell you more.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Bill Coleman

Bill Coleman Auditioning

Hi Vince

Already I have learned something!!

I have looked at all the jacks at the back of my receiver and am pretty sure I understand what you mean about the different types of connections.

Basically I am trying to connect my tv, dvd, cd player, vcr, satelite dish and turntable(yes I know but I'm old,well not really I just have a ton of vinyl). My vcr(Pioneer) has no s-video only rca jacks, my dvd player(Sanyo) has all jacks Opt, s-video, component and regular rca. The salelite receiver(RCA) has s-video and regular rca jacks. The cd player (Pioneer) has just regular rca jacks.

Note: I have the turntable and cd player running ok. Only took 2 days to figure those out, thats why thank god I found this site.

Bill

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Bill Coleman

Bill Coleman Auditioning

Thanks Vince I will print off these instructions and give it a try. Will let you know how it goes.

No my sat does't have digital audio output.

Thanks Bill