What's new

Green Acres S3 to be re-released (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
This one seems rather a dumb move:

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18583

Green Acres - The Next DVD Release of the Classic Show Appears to be...a 'Rerun'!
The Season 3 set MGM put out in late 2005 through Sony will soon get distributed via Fox
Posted by David Lambert
blackpixel.gif
6/17/2013
blackpixel.gif

In early 2004, MGM released Green Acres - Season 1 on DVD, and about a year later they followed up with a DVD set of Green Acres - Season 2. During this time period, the studio was up for sale, and near the end of 2004 they were bought by a consortium which is primarily led by Sony. As a result, by mid-2005 all MGM titles on DVD were distributed by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and that lasted until mid-2006, when MGM moved their home video distribution to go through Fox Home Entertainment.

So, when MGM put out a DVD release of Green Acres - Season 3 in December 2005, it was contracted to sell to retail via Sony. However, when MGM moved their distribution to Fox, this wasn't one of the titles that went with it. Oh, it's not hard to find, mind you, nor does it sell for high prices. But from what we can tell, the third season has never been distributed through Fox before.

Our retail industry contacts inform us, however, that MGM, through current distributor Fox Home Entertainment, has scheduled a September 17th re-release of Green Acres - Season 3 on DVD. It is the exact same 4-disc set as before, with the same contents and list price ($29.98 SRP) as we saw previously, and even almost-identical package art to the old version (shown below). If you have picked up this season in the past, then there's apparently no need to re-buy it. But if you've somehow missed it all this time, then you'll have a newly wide distribution of the title so you can snag it.

We're not sure why Fox's schedule doesn't also include re-releasing or re-promoting the first two seasons of the sitcom. Nor is there any word about the 4th, 5th or 6th seasons of the classic show, which fans are still hungry for! Last year, TGG Direct began selling a general DVD release of Return to Green Acres, the 1990 reunion telefilm, which had previously only been available as an MOD title with limited availability. That's the only recent title for this show, but hopefully this new distribution of the third season is a good sign that perhaps the remaining three seasons will finally see the light of day soon. Fingers crossed!

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular';font-size:12px;]Taken from:http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18583#ixzz2WWH3RJ00[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, Swiss, 'SunSans-Regular';font-size:12px;]
GreenAcres_S3.jpg
[/color]

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
rmw650 said:
I don't understand this crazy logic on FOX's part. Why release a season of a show that is most readily available and on the cheap already and not continue this show by releasing the 4th season set and so on via this method? This is the exact same thing Sony did with Fantasy Island S2 a year ago and it's just a waste of time and effort to re-release the same thing again. Fox should truly rethink this method and release Season 4 come September as many fans have been clamoring for this show to finally continue from obscurity once again. Enough of the re-releases already! It's supposed to be the same exact thing released back a few years ago based on what this article states...what's the point of all this?!
"Ours not to reason why, ours but to buy or 'bye". :D

Not original, but it's a question that's been pondered in the hobby by some of us, for sure. You raise a good question. My guess is it's a strategy to obtain some additional sales after several years has passed from the original release.

We've seen it happen with some other shows and movies.
John Hermes said:
Idiotic. I've been watching the same three seasons for years and would gladly buy the remaining three. Who runs these companies?
Someone in Washington? :lol:

Seriously, I'm the same. I'd get the remaining seasons of this show as well.
classicmovieguy said:
One would have thought they'd go back and re-release Seasons 1-2, but on regular single-sided discs instead of those cumbersome double-sided ones...
That would have made more sense to me and it's a fair bet that they'd get more sales if all of these re-releases were redone on single-sided discs.

Maybe there's someone that has a sample set....

"Mr Douglas, I got one on the truck..."

2z6trpi.jpg

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully this means the remaining seasons are on the way. I Can't see any other logic in re-releasing this. It mentions its coming from TGG Direct and they don't always license a complete show so maybe they only got Seasons 3-6.
At this time they don't have the rights to Season 1 of Highway Patrol or Season 3 of Bat Masterson.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah, I think it's positive news. Maybe they're just getting it out there in advance of season 4-6. I will continue to think that way.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I know it's heresy, but all six seasons can be purchased from iTunes for those who need their fix.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob W said:
I know it's heresy, but all six seasons can be purchased from iTunes for those who need their fix.
Any way of transferring those to DVD once bought? I bought a few episodes of My Favorite Martian on Amazon and wish I could transfer them to DVD.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
not.way said:
The people who run these companies are the think they know it all types just like a certain poster on here initials N B who is as clueless as these studio people
Hmm.....a newbie who signs up just to bash Neil? Nah, no agenda there........

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Any way of transferring those to DVD once bought? I bought a few episodes of My Favorite Martian on Amazon and wish I could transfer them to DVD.
Google "Roku" for some info. A "Roku" box is a Streaming player that will allow you to output to a DVD Burner. I'm not into this part of the hobby but I know a friend that has one.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Willis said:
Google "Roku" for some info. A "Roku" box is a Streaming player that will allow you to output to a DVD Burner. I'm not into this part of the hobby but I know a friend that has one.
Oh that would be great! There are tons of classic Memphis wrestling stuff on YouTube I'd love to preserve on DVD. Found some guy in Indiana who has posted quite a few complete episodes. I grew up on that stuff :D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ron1973 said:
Oh that would be great! There are tons of classic Memphis wrestling stuff on YouTube I'd love to preserve on DVD. Found some guy in Indiana who has posted quite a few complete episodes. I grew up on that stuff :D
2s8lbms.jpg

Check your PM's
2ilwz6.jpg

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ron1973 said:
So are you a fan of "the King"? LOL

Gary "my stepfather was big into wrestling so I know some of the names and that Jerry Lawler was big in Memphis back in the day" O.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Ron1973 said:
Gary OS said:
So are you a fan of "the King"? LOL

Gary "my stepfather was big into wrestling so I know some of the names and that Jerry Lawler was big in Memphis back in the day" O.
And I grew up dreading those Saturday mornings when Grandma would come to our house to get her hair done (my mom was a beautician and Grandma came down every 4-6 weeks for a cut, perm, and color). That meant I'd have to watch Studio Wrestling instead of my normal cartoons. Mom knew I hated it so she waited until the morning of before letting me know. She tempered it with "It's only once in a while and just an hour. You'll survive." Grandma *loved* that stuff! I can still see her on the edge of a chair with her hair in curlers, fists clenched, beating the air, getting mad that Tojo Yamamoto was "up do no good"! Heaven forbid you should even *hint* it was all staged. She really liked Lawler. It's *good* memories now but I hated it then! :D

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Old wrestling shows provoke a lot of memories. Here in So Cal on KTLA Channel 5 from Los Angeles, I remember Freddie Blassie, the Destroyer, Mr. Moto, and many others when I stated watching back in about 1963. Especially frightening was when Dick The Bruiser came through town!

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
BobO'Link said:
And I grew up dreading those Saturday mornings when Grandma would come to our house to get her hair done (my mom was a beautician and Grandma came down every 4-6 weeks for a cut, perm, and color). That meant I'd have to watch Studio Wrestling instead of my normal cartoons. Mom knew I hated it so she waited until the morning of before letting me know. She tempered it with "It's only once in a while and just an hour. You'll survive." Grandma *loved* that stuff! I can still see her on the edge of a chair with her hair in curlers, fists clenched, beating the air, getting mad that Tojo Yamamoto was "up do no good"! Heaven forbid you should even *hint* it was all staged. She really liked Lawler. It's *good* memories now but I hated it then! :D
Oh my!!! That sounds like my Granny Belle!!! She hated Tojo's guts and in a big time way. "That dirty little Jap! I'll whip him!!!" She couldn't be convinced it was all a fake. It was real and she was gonna whip Tojo. I told her that Tojo was a good guy now. Nope, he was NOT!!!
Gary, I rooted for Jerry to win but in real life, I never did like him. My father and me went to the matches at Caruthersville, MO one night. Fans were after Jerry for an autograph or just to say hi and he plugged on along and ignored everyone. At this time, Jimmy Hart was still in the territory and we went to meet him. Nicest guy you'll ever meet. Shook my hand, talked to me....the whole nine yards. Pretty big deal when you're 10!!! :lol:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Oh and there was the time my other grandmother called Brickhouse Brown "Sh*thouse Brown" after she got mad at him :rolleyes:

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
BobO'Link said:
Heaven forbid you should even *hint* it was all staged ...
You're so right about that. I've found that nothing upsets people more than telling them what they believe isn't true, no matter how obvious that fact is. In fact, the less likely what they believe is true, the more upset they'll get.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rmw650 said:
But getting back to the topic at hand here, here's hoping this re-release of season 3 of the show WILL lead toward the eventual DVD releases of the final three seasons of Green Acres and maybe get Beverly Hillbillies continued once again. We can only hope.
I'd be in for GA if for no other reason the fact it had a tie to Petticoat Junction which had ties to Jed and his kin :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks