'Greek Wedding' to be CBS TV series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisMatson, Sep 19, 2002.

1. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Dec 14, 2000
    They have ordered seven episodes, starring Nia Vardalos. Also appearing will be Michael Constantine and Lainie Kazan, who played Vardalos' parents in the movie.
    I don't know how to feel about this. I loved the movie, and it may make for a decent TV show, but I generally don't like sit-coms. We'll see...
  2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    the movie was truly refreshing...one of the best comedies i've seen in some time.
    but i wonder how a sit-com would do. i think the movie worked because it was only 90 minutes worth of "exposure". it was neat to see "the other side" of life...so to speak. we got to experience greek culture and it was interesting to see.
    but can a sit-com pull that off? week after week? the danger is that this sit-com (if staying true to the movie) would have to be focused on the "quirks" (in a good way) of greek culture.
    that could be a pretty narrow target audience. the trick will be to do the show in such a way that it still has mass appeal.
    what ethincally oriented sit-coms have done really well? i remember margaret cho had her show, but it flopped. jeffersons, cosby show (barely), brady bunch [​IMG], etc?
    anyway, i'll probably check it out...