What's new

Greatest Sports Announcers (1 Viewer)

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
This is not intended to be a tournament, but I was moved by the passing of the remarkable Chick Hearn. For those of us who grew up and/or live in the L.A. area, Chick Hearn was like a part of the skyline. His death leaves a hole in the hearts of Laker fans everywhere. Rest easy, Chick.

I realize that many of the announcers listed may be local, and they may not have national recognition, but that's quite all right.

My top 5 all-time announcers:

1. Vin Scully - The measure of the sports announcer.
2. Chick Hearn - Utterly irreplaceable and singularly gifted.
3. Howard Cosell - Love him or hate him, there was only one Howard.
4. Harry Carey - Hilarious, fun-loving, imitation inspiring.
5. Al Michaels - A true pro.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Donny Most, the Celtics' radio guy until ~10 years ago, was the ultimate homer. Normally, I despise that kind of announcer, but Most was so over-the-top (Celtics games were titanic battles of good versus evil) and borderline incomprehensible as to be a real guilty pleasure.

I missed the golden age of Red Sox broadcaster Ned Martin here; he recently passed away, and I only saw him on TV, where he was never as good as he was on the radio.

I do love our current Red Sox TV guys, though - Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy are a great team, and Fox should strongly consider picking Remy up to work some postseason games. The other play-by-play guy, Sean McDonough, used to be a favorite but has become a little too opinionated for his own good (the perils of having a sports-radio show, I guess).

I hope Keith Olbermann finds his dream job and sticks to it someday. Sadly (for me), it will probably be on YES.

My favorite national guy (not counting Charles Barkley) is ESPN's Jon Miller. Most of the national broadcasters for baseball stink, but Miller is very good even with Joe Morgan acting as a huge drag factor.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Chick Hearn & Vin Scully are tied for #1. And they are millions of light years ahead of my next choice which would be Bob Costas. But no one is ever going to come anywhere near Chick & Vin.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Ernie Harwell, the very longtime radio announcer of the Detroit Tigers. Vin Scully would be at the top of any list.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Someone else who deserves mention is the late, great Jack Buck. Cardinals fans knew him well, but as a Dodger fan, I'll always remember his call of Gibson's homer in the '88 World Series. Timeless...;)
BTW, Jason,
was Donny Most's color guy Anson Williams?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I grew up in a small town south of St. Louis so Jack Buck was my favorite. Vin Scully was great as well, love that voice. I didn't really have any experience with Chick Hearn, though the Lakers are the only pro team I've ever really been a fan of.

I also like Jon Miller and Bob Costas.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Celtics radio was very entertaining then. :D
I guess it's "Johnny Most". I think. He's been dead for ten years and I never was that big a basketball fan.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Chick was the best. Period.

Scully is very good, but Chick, in his prime, was much better in my opinion. Nobody could color a game like Chick Hearn. He was so damn good that if you had to listen to the Laker game on the radio instead of watching it on t.v., you didn't really feel like you were missing anything since he was so descriptive. And he could talk fast and still be descriptive and colorful.

Plus, he coined so many phrases..."draw iron", "slam dunk", "This games in the refrigerator....", "popcorn machine" etc etc etc!

RIP Chick!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Actually we used to watch it on tv, but turn the sound down and listen to Chick on the radio. Best of both worlds. Of course, now, all I get is the occasional national Lakers game, or even worse, when they play the Spurs, I have to listen to the local homer announcers. Geez.
One thing about Chick, he was objective. As a fan it was sometimes hard to hear him tell us how we'd blown it, or that a ref call against us was the right call, etc., but he always told the truth. He loved the Lakers, but he was damned objective when calling a game, something I can definitely NOT say about Spurs announcers who tell us how every time there's a call that doesn't go their way, how the refs are biased. :rolleyes

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I was in my basement watching the game with 2 of my best friends at the time (one still is).

The Buck call we imitated the most happened during the regular season, I believe '87.

It just came out perfectly and happened just as fast as he said it.

"Here's Jack Clark, sitting on 10 hr's...Make it..Eleven."

Whenever we played wiffle ball, Odyssey baseball, Strato, or Pursue the Pennant, we always used that one.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Since I lived 30+ years in the St. Louis area, I would have to agree with Jack Buck. Harry Caray was good, but I preferred the more laid-back style of Jack Buck. Jack's son, Joe Buck, is following admirably in his father's shoes and I think has real potential to become one of the best announcers. As far as the Caray family, I think Harry's grandson Chip Caray is doing a fine job for the Cubs.

Speaking of the Cubs, whatever happened to their TV color commentator, Steve Stone? I think Steve was one of the best color commentators I've heard.

Steve K.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Actually we used to watch it on tv, but turn the sound down and listen to Chick on the radio. Best of both worlds.
We use to do that too George!

I also completely agree with you about Chick's objectivety. He was a Laker fan to the core, but he would not hesitate to criticize them when appropriate, and would give other teams and players praise when called for.

I always thought Chick would have made a great Scout, as he really seemed to have a knack for knowing what a players best abilities were.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Now we have special effects, but before the only thing was the announcer. And of course radio required that the announcer have a special gift.

Their voice, manner, confidence, and control of the medium was a rare gift.

On Sunday afternoon I could hardly wait to hear Ken Coleman repeat this play a hundred times. "The snap goes to Plumb who pitches to Brown on a sweep behind Wooten and Hickerson. And Brown goes for an eight yard gain."

I remember Marty Glickman, Lindsey Nelson, Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese.

I was a Dodger fan so of course I loved Vin Skully.

On the radio I could get Harry Carey, Jack Buck, and Bob Prince.

Ex ball players that did a good job were Joe Garagiola, Bob Ueker, and Don Drysdale.

When Pat Summeral went to the booth, he was the best doing football.

Announcers I never cared for were Curt Gowdy, and Tim McCarver.

Woah Nellie!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks