1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Lost Movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PaulBigelow, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Not sure if any would have been great, though quite possible; file them under great direcotrs.

Eisenstein never finished Que Viva Mexico! or Ivan the Terrible Part III, and Bezhin Meadow wsa destroyed.

Several of FW Murnau's German films are now lost, along with the later, Oscar nominated Four Devils.

John Huston's documentary Let There Be Light has never been released on home video, anyone know the status?

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

A short version is available on dvd. A longer cut is available on ld. The even longer cut that Robert Harris could create, is almost certainly to be lost and never seen again. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I've always been intrigued by the lost 1923 film, HOLLYWOOD, a time capsule of the industry.

GOOD NEWS at least is extant save for the Technicolor finale; I just wish someone would get Penny Singleton (aka Dorothy McNulty in the credits) to do an interview or commentary on TCM or DVD for historical purposes; she's around 95 now, and a reminder that alot of early Hollywood voices are all but gone now. [​IMG]

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've always had a hankering to see Theda Bara's Cleopatra, myself. I think a few feet of it exist in the Library of Congress, but nothing else.

Others that are intriguing are A Blind Bargain (one of Chaney's few true horror films; London After Midnight is a creaky detective story) and The Miracle Man, which made Chaney a star (though a few minutes of that have been preserved thanks to a Paramount Movie Memories compilation made in the 1930s).

5. Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie Stunt Coordinator

I'll be damned if I ould locate a copy of Johnny Depp's only directorial effort, The Brave ( http://us.imdb.com/Title?0118768 ).
    Although it is out there somewhere... just hard to find... so not actually "lost" - sorry.
    [​IMG]

6. RayG

RayG Stunt Coordinator

I'd say Josef von Sternberg's lost Paramount films The Case of Lena Smith and The Dragnet could qualify, just by the standards of his films that do survive. Also he directed a film for Charles Chaplin that was never released.

7. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

Don Quixote? Production on the Terry Gilliam/Johnny Depp film apparently stopped after six days' work.

8. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I enjoyed seeing the London After Midnight remake on TCM, but I'd much rather see a complete copy of The Miracle Man. The few minutes that survive (watched it on The Penalty DVD) impressed me much more than anything from London After Midnight.