What's new

Greatest Laserdiscs/LD's with Exclusive Content (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
and the three box sets of Buster Keaton which are worth having.
The DVD version of the 3 box sets (all in one box) is vastly superior. Most of the transfers are identical, but a handful of the features were remastered for DVD. Some of the scores were re-recorded, too. The extras disc is unique to the DVD, as well.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am not sure if these extras ever got on DVD, but LDs that have mucho grande extras:
Phantasm
Fearless Vampire Killers
Night of the Living Dead 25th anny
Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle
TwilightZone - The Creative Vision
RoboCop
Carrie (My vote for most annoying commentary)

Me Thinks these are not on DVD or they snuck by me
I Claduis
Micheal Palins Pole to Pole
Northern Exposure
Wild at Heart
Ragtime
Caveman
Popeye
Rocky & Bullwinkle
The Mission
Once upon a time in America
The Thin Man Collection
Addams Family
Many Marx Brothers Movies (minus the Big uns)

Most music video stuff from the 80s
My Favorite being Saturday Morning Cartoons
Can't Imagine not having at least 3 working LD players at anyone time....but that's just me
It's still pretty cool pulling one out of a sleave and someone's eyes get big who never saw anyting silver bigger than 5 inches ....."What the hell is that"

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I Cladius (BBC TV show) has been on DVD for a few years. Caveman (Ringo Starr) came out on DVD last year. The Mission will be out in a few months and the first Season of Northen Exposure is available on PAL R2 DVD from HMV.co.uk ONLY.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
It's still pretty cool pulling one out of a sleave and someone's eyes get big who never saw anyting silver bigger than 5 inches ....."What the hell is that"
I get that reaction even from people involved in the movie industry! :)

It's strange. Over the years, I've collected about 120 Laserdisc titles and never sold a single one. But with my DVD collection, I bought close to 400 titles and have sold at least half of them. And I don't even miss the titles I've sold. In fact, I couldn't wait to get rid of some of them considering how terrible they were! I guess that doesn't make me much of a "collector".

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
1. Ultimate OZ boxset. Most of the contents were ported to the DVD except for the commentary track which is one of the very best that I've ever heard.

2. Private Life of Sherlock Holmes - Billy Wilder's lost masterpiece. This set has as much of the missing footage as could be found and includes several other significant extras.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'd add Criterion's "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" to the list. Mr Blythe has indicated this will not see the Laser Light of a DVD player & it often sells on eBay for $200+!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for educating whats out on DVD

Never thought I cladius would DVD it...not the best quality on LD and I doubt if DVD was mucho better

There are just a lot of strange things on LD made for a very limited market that I doubt will make it to DVD... and hey gotta put something in my 12 inch album shelves!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The Criterion "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" LD PQ is very good.

Why won't it be released? Whats the hold up?

Eric, who's in the Oz commentary?

Declan

Second Unit
wyatt earp extended version.......... hell, Wyatt earp theatrical version as well.

License to drive,
Monster squad,
Jumpin Jack Flash,

..........spot the child of the 80's :D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Mark,

The OZ commentary is by a film historian named John Fricke. I'm not sure who he is, but he really knows his stuff and some of the things that he points out are amazing. There are also some short interviews with Margaret Hamilton, Ray Bolger, Jack Haley, & the Music arranger. I believe there are several other odds and ends, but didn't do a complete comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks