Greatest Hits album with volume numbers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

What do you guys think of "Greatest Hits" albums with volume numbers? Some artists never want to release one because they consider these albums as "kiss of death" to their careers, i.e
    Van Halen - Greatest Hits Volume 1, followed by Van Halen 3. Enuff said there.
    Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Volume 1 & 2, followed by 2 or 3 more Top 10 songs within a decade. That's it.
    Mariah Carey - #1's. Followed by "Glitter".
    Hall & Oates - Rock & Soul, Part 1. Followed by album "Big Bam Boom" and then....CRASH! Career hits wall.
    On the other hand, the biggest selling album to date in this country (US) is Eagles' Their Greatest Hits (technically, would that make it 'Volume 1'?).

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I think it's stupid for a band to include "Volume 1" in the album title if they are in no position to release a Volume 2 at the same time. If their career tanks, everyone will know it at some point down the road when they see Volume 1 and no Volumes 2, 3, 4, etc. There are bands out there that have released Volume 1 with no sign of Volume 2 coming. Big mistake in my opinion. At this point, I wonder if Van Halen will last long enough to release a Volume 2.
    The Eagles released Greatest Hits, Volume 2 in 1982, so technically Their Greatest Hits, 1971-1975 is Volume 1. [​IMG]
    As for Billy Joel, he released Volumes 1 and 2 in one package, so the volume notation doesn't mean anything, except that he came out with Volume 3 later on. The first compilation made naming the second one easy. [​IMG]
    Mariah Carey released #1's just a few short years ago (what does she think she is the Beatles? [​IMG]), but recently released a two-disc greatest hits compilation. That's a bit too much greatest hits stuff from Mariah in too short a period, in my opinion.
    Another Hall & Oates compilation came out recently. I believe it's under the VH-1: Behind the Music banner. In addition, they also have their Best of Hall & Oates compilation. These are just multiple compilations of largely the same old material.
    Oh well, I'm just ranting. I'll stop now.

3. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

Danny,
    Funny, I've always thought the same thing[​IMG]
    Definitely the kiss of death.
    Jerry

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Quoth the Keith:

** COUGHCOUGHBACKSTREETBOYSCOUGHCOUGH **

5. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

I've got 'The Prodigy Presents The Dirtchamber Sessions Volume 1'. Whatever happened to Volume 2? [​IMG]

6. Tom McDonald

Tom McDonald Stunt Coordinator

The reason most Greatest hits are released is because of commitments to labels, and lack of new material.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

During my February 2002 trip to Hong Kong/China, I actually came across The Beatles' "2" album. Same red cover, except with the number "2" in yellow. I was thinking "Wow! I didn't there was a "2" album out?!" The song list was very good.....then I saw the logos of Universal Music and HDCD. Counterfeit CD alert!! Should've purchased it anyway, just for the sheer hell of it.

I believe most record contract specifically ask for a certain number of "greatest hits" albums from the artist.

Andrew,

I have the same question regarding Mel Brooks' "History of the World, Part 1"....whatever happened to Part 2? But I guess that belongs on the Movies forum.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian said:

9. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Keith:

The Beatles 1 album is just a collection of their #1 hits (though one could make an argument that Strawberry Fields deserves to be on the CD). Having a Beatles 2 CD would thus make less sense, IMHO. If you want more Beatles, buy the Blue and Red albums. Or just buy ANY of their albums -- they're pretty much all good, right?

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, I realize that 1 is a compilation of #1 hits. I was being a bit sarcastic about 2, 3, etc. However, those would still be great compilations. They just would be celebrating the fact that the included songs weren't good enough for the top spot. [​IMG]Anyway, I have all the Beatles CDs, but I would always welcome newly remastered compilations. [​IMG]