What's new

Greatest and most believable movie creature creations are... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Happy Halloween everyone! I was watching Night of the Living Dead(90), and it never ceases to amaze me how disgusting and realistic the zombie make up is in that film, and it got me thinking about all my favorite film creatures and monsters that are the most lifelike and believable. A case can be made for such classic creations such as Frankenstein, Dracula, Mummy, and the Wolfman, but i'm speaking of creatures in film that actually make you believe they'r alive as real living creatures.
Here are my top 6 favorites...
1. Gizmo from Gremlins. I watched this classic again the other day, and my heart still melts when they show that adorable little face! He was created by Chris Walas, and I think that this little Mogwai is perhaps his greatest creation, he looks like he could possibly exsist as a real living creature somewhere, in fact, when I first saw this movie as a kid, I was convinced that he REALLY WAS real, I actually thought that they found some rare species of animal somewhere! I also remember being a little heartbroken when I found out he was indeed a creation of special effects.
frown.gif
The voice talent of Howie Mandel complete the illusion very well. Not even the title creatures themelves, as great as they are, can equal the believability of this single creature. I remember clearly saying to my dad that I wanted one, a REAL one, alas, I had to settle for a stuffed one, but I loved it just the same.
2. E.T. from E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. He is perhaps, the most beloved movie creature of all time! When a film creature can make you absolutly believe without question that it's a real living thing, with feeling's, emotions, and it's own thought process, and THEN move you to tears on top of all that, well that is the ultimate testiment as to what special effects can do, and Carlo Rambaldi pulled off a miracle with E.T., he created nothing short of life!
3. The Predator from Predator. This thing ranks among the most fearsome and totally believable alien creations ever! Created by the man himself, Stan Winston, the Predator is one of his crowning achievments. Whether it's squaring off with Arnold in full reptillion regalia, or swinging from the treetops in it's refracted light mode, it's all done to make you believe it has come to earth, and is here! Sadly, the man who played the Predator, Kevin Peter Hall, passed away in 1991, but, in addition to the Predator, he did leave behind one other great performance, and that is...
4. Harry from Harry and the Henderson's. As with Gizmo the Mogwai, Harry is absolutly adorable if not BIG and clumsy! I saw this film back when it was released in 87 I think, and I was totally convinced that Harry was a real Sasquatch(Bigfoot). Indeed, as created by, once again, Stan Winston, his believability was without question, and he remains one of my favorite creature creations and a great movie to boot. After seeing this film for the first time, Harry left a rather large footprint on my heart.
5. The Sick Triceratops from Jurassic Park. O.k., we all know that the T-Rex was THE MAN, er, um, CREATURE in this moderen classic, but for me, the single greatest creation in that film was not the most fearsome beast, but the most gentle, living, breathing miracle of moderen creature effects, the Triceratops. I can see why Laura Dern got emotional FOR REAL while working on the set with this magnificent animal. In my opinion, this IS the crown jewel in Stan Winston's crown as a craftsman and giver of life to things that cannot live. Nothing else he does in his career will rival what he and his team did in this film.
6. Godzilla from Godzilla(98). Now say what you will about the quality of the movie itself, and i'll admit it's pretty bad, but I don't think that anyone would argue that the creature itself designed by Patrick Toutopolis, is a magnificent creation in terms of making us believe that it TRULY is a living, breathing reptile of gargantuan proportions!
Well, those are my pics, now it's your turn, what are your all time favorite believable creatures in the movies?
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 09, 2001 at 08:19 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 09, 2001 at 08:32 AM]
[Edited last by John Williamson on October 09, 2001 at 08:37 AM]

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I like the alien creation in Men In Black and the way they make them so credible by the National Enquirer headlines.
------------------
Link Removed
15354t.jpg

------------------
My Favourite Movie

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
1. The Predator from Predator
- One of the best creature creations to ever walk the planet.
2. The aliens from the Alien movies
- H.R. Geiger manages to a make a sleek and violent creation that can still instill fears within little kids.
3. Gizmo from the Gremlins movie
- I love that furry little guy. It's so cute and creepy at the same time.
4. The thing from The Thing
- This mess was such a huge cornicopa of flesh and body parts that it freaked the hell out of me.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll go with the creatures from the Alien films.
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I like the insects from STARSHIP TROOPERS.
How about Jane Fonda in THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY? She was pretty convincing as a human being.
The Blob, staring in THE BLOB

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
The Predator , the Aliens & the Bugs.
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~
[Edited last by Artur Meinild on October 09, 2001 at 06:29 AM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks for the replies so far guys, but instead of short one sentence answers, why not give me more, tell me why you feel your choice makes you believe it's alive, and how you reacted the first time you saw it.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
1. The Cenobites (though human, could be considered creatures)
2. The Xenomorph (H.R. Giger - Alien)
3. Jabba the Hutt (um... Return of the Jedi)
4. any dinosaur in JP series
5. Greatest and most UNbelievable movie creature: Pan and Scan.
there are more, but I can't think straight right now.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Joe D

Supporting Actor
All the bugs from Starship Troopers.
Most movies have CGI characters that don't mix with the human characters 100%, this movie the CGI works great.
------------------
Joe Dahlen
"Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Predator being the most Beleivable. That creature was a mean SOB.
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
The Predator from Predator - The scene that makes it believable for me is when Dutch (Arnold) slugs it in the face, and it's mouth pincher things kind of twitch a bit, like it's saying "good punch" or something. It gave it quite a bit of personality, in my opinion. Of course, the rattlesnake-like tick that it emits makes it scary and believable, as well as it's loud roar when it's got Arnold cornered toward the end.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea, Predator, Im still amazed by the great craeture effects in that one-the moving mouth and all.
When I saw that in the theater when it came out my jaw dropped.
A really fantastic job.
------------------
Visit My Pathetic WebPage
"....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks