What's new

Greatest American Hero!!! (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

Yes. I believe the last 3 episodes (of the seasons 7, plus the pilot) were filmed using the name "Hanley".
I think Reagan was shot after the first episode aired, but episodes 2, 3 and 4 had already been completed. These were the episodes where dubbing was employed to change the name to "Hanley" or "Mr. H.". For scenes where the dubbing was too obvious, the producers obscured the utterance of "Hinkley" with an off-screen noise, like a car passing, which to me was more obvious than the dubbing would have been.

I checked greatestamericanhero.com for details, but the site wasn't very clear about the specifics on the matter.
Maybe someone here can explain the details better.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
From TVTome, this is listed with the 4th episode (assuming the pilot is split in 2, with it only being one episode this would be the 3rd episode on the DVD):

Chris

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
My set finally arrived yesterday. I am quite happy with it overall, the picture was fine i didn't expect much better. Watching Connie Sellecca in this reminded me of a series she did right after GHA or about the same time. I think it was called Hotel i wouldn't mind seeing that released just to see more of her. :b

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
Alright...I'm a big ol' hypocrite.

I had cancelled my order with Amazon and the NEXT day, someone from an ad agency offered me a free copy in exchange for an ad on my website. Of course, I took it.

I would have been mad at myself if I had not gotten this because of the music. There are only two or three songs replaced in the pilot. Even though they are horrible (and DON'T even sound like 80's music) the quality of the picture is fantastic. (It is less than fantastic in some other episodes.) I may eventually dub in the original music from an old video tape.

I would still be disgusted if Cannell made no attempt to get the original music, but having this series in DVD quality is better than not having it at all. BRING ON SEASON 2!!!!

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'm fuming here..... I went out to get it this morning... Walmart doesn't have it (they were too lazy to look in the unopened boxes) Zellers didn't have it, Music World were sold out and they said it was out last week. I still have a few more places to check but I'm getting worried.

Chuck West

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a set from Best Buy, got it home, then found out I have 2 copies of Disc 1. So back to Best Buy tomorrow... :angry:

TeresaLM

Auditioning
You better hope they have another copy in stock...I went to 3 different BB's, and all were sold out. They all saud that they thought they were sold out at all the BB's in the area (Detroit Metro area).

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Well I'm still looking for it hopefully sometime tomorrow I'll find it. If all else fails I guess I could order it online but I rather not.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I picked up GAH and Vice last night.

GAH was a jawdropping presentation. I couldnt believe how good it looked. I didnt pay attention to any music changes cause the songs were always bad covers anyway; doesnt bother me.

Flipping between these two shows last night made me feel old. :frowning: :D

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Yeah I just watched the first 2 episodes the video was amazing for such a show. It beats the hell out of my vcds thats for sure.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I agree, the picture quality was (for the most part) superb, much cleaner than I was expecting. The music substitutions were pretty blatant, but it didn't bother me much (like Matt said, only the cover songs are gone, not the original songs composed specifically for the series). Bring on seasons 2 and 3!

billGR

Agent
hi everyone i just bought my copy of the greatest american hero season 1 on dvd it was awesome some extra footage in each episode. im looking forward on season 2 also. thanks bill green :) :)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I found a blooper in the 3rd episode on disc 1 ("Here's looking at you, kid"). In this episode, Ralph is having problems controlling his invisibility powers. You'll notice that in the scene where Ralph must somehow get out of the restaurant without looking like a fool (he's in his superhero costume), there's an "EXIT" sign behind him and Pam. I guess he didn't see it because he still reveals himself in front of everyone (including Pams' parents) and then walks out the front door (with the help of some restaurant security). :D

"Psst....Ralph! Look behind you."

Jimmy M

Second Unit

Huh? Maybe extra footage from the stripped down syndicated versions, but not from the original network airings.

Jimmy!

Derek_J

Stunt Coordinator
Oddly enough, they kept the Whitney Houston song, sung by herself, on GAHeroine. (I'm assuming that was there to begin with.)

Ironically, they have something to the effect of 'Can't stop the music...' written in the liner notes.
:D

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Overall this is a nice package, and at the BB $17.99 sale price, you cannot go wrong. What I have watched so far, looks and sounds better than I expected. I have not seen GAH since its original network run and do not recall much about the music (except the theme), but I think the song substitutions are very noticeable and stick out like a sore thumb. No attempt was made to strike a balance with the Mike Post score. Although I am not a fan of this practice, I have to admit that this is the first time music changes are so blatant that I find them distracting. Despite the caveat, I think GAH is a wonderful treat that holds up surprisingly well and is worth the investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks