What's new

Great XP Bundle at Staples (1 Viewer)

Denward

Supporting Actor
If you're thinking about setting up an ethernet network in your house, there's a great deal at Staples (or staples.com). Buy the Win XP upgrade for $99 and get free Linksys 4 port cable/dsl router ($80-100 retail), 2 Linksys NICs($10-$40), and a 10' cat 5 cable ($10 retail). I went and got this today, and will probably sell the XP on ebay.
------------------

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Denward,
I took advantage of the deal, as well. I got the Palm Pilot for my wife (to use as an organizer- she's not a power user). Plus, I got 128MB for PII-266. Not bad for the price of XP, alone.
Don't poo-poo XP just yet. I just completed the install, and this is the best piece of Microsoft-ware that I've ever purchased. I did a clean install, and it automatically configured EVERY piece of hardware in my system, without me adding any driver disks. PC Pit stop shows slightly faster performance than with ME.
So, unless your running Win2000Pro, I'd seriously consider XP.
Todd
P.S. If you do decide to let it go, what's your parting price? I may get it for my father-in-law. He needs the Remote Assistance feature (for my benefit) :).

Denward

Supporting Actor
Here's the link to staples.com. They actually have four different packages if the ones alreday mentioned here don't meet your needs. http://www.staples.com/Products/Them...ch/Default.asp
Iain, is your question addressed at me? I don't know anything about XP and NT working together, but I'm not using NT at home.
Todd, I was going to put it on ebay with a 'buy it now' price of $90 with free shipping. I'll give you an HTF discount to $85 with free shipping. It's a perfect box, except I had to cut out the UPC code for my rebate. Email me if you're interested.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Sorry, it wasn't made in an accusing way toward anyone, its just that since one of the reasons for preferring to stick with an older release of Windows is that they have apparently deliberately reduced the networking capabilities on their latest 'home' OS versions.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Iain,
I wasn't feeling accused or insulted or offended or anything. I thought you might be asking me technical question and I didn't want you to feel ignored. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks