Great Unexpected Collaborations?

Discussion in 'Music' started by John Watson, Jul 11, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Great Unexpected Collaborations - Any Recommendations?

Let's define terms first. By examples - Bruce Springsteen singing with Roy Orbison is not one, tho I think it was a healthy collaboration. Almost anything with Elton John, BB King, Eric Clapton, et al. is excluded. (Michael Bolton dueting with Celine Dion is unthinkable). Natalie Cole posthumously dueting with dad was interesting, but with current technology, not unexpected.

Good examples : kd lang with Roy Orbison on "Crying" (one of my favorites).

Duane Eddy and Art Of Noise redoing "Peter Gunn"

Tammy Wynette and the KLF "Stand by the Jams"

Shirley Bassey and The Propellerheads with "History Repeating"

So, anyone else know of good collaborations, or even some imaginary ones that you'd like to hear?

2. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Well, my favorite collaboration is way more out of the musical mainstream than the examples you gave, but here it is:

Andreas Vollenweider and Ladysmith Black Mambazo - one song on each of the albums "Book of Roses" and "Kryptos".

These 2 artists really complement each other musically, and the whole is greater than the sum of the parts on these two songs.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I seem to have never heard Andreas Vollenweider, but I looked him up, and it sounds like that could be one of the cases I would include. I have Paul Simon's Graceland, on which I think Ladysmith.Black Mambazo performs.

I had a Rob Wasserman disk for awhile, where he (he plays bass) dueted with pop singers, and liked the "acoustic" result, where the pop voices were not drowned in pop sugar or bombast.

Come to think of it, did Elvis Costello not perform with a string quartet? I would also like to imagine him performing with some old doowop vocal group. [​IMG]

One song I very much love is John Lee Hooker with Santana : "Blues is the Healer". It wasn't a stretch for either one, but it sure hits me in the soul.

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Anthrax + Public Enemy = Bring The Noise [​IMG]

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

That's the spirit!

Makes me remember Aerosmith and Run DMC - WALK THIS WAY!

[​IMG]

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Pardon a jazbo for interjecting this:

I recently picked up Thelonious Monk's Newport CD. Dixieland clarinetist Pee Wee Russell plays on two songs. The result is mixed musically- Russell gets lost a bit when Monk stops comping, but they gel much better on the blues tune they do.

Another far-out jazz duet is Mary Lou Williams and Cecil Taylor. I haven't heard it, but I've read that if you expect it to not work... you're right. [​IMG]

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Michael Stipe + Nenah Cherry = Trout

8. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

My favorite:

Tom Waits and Crystal Gayle on the soundtrack to the wonderful film One From The Heart.

9. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Eddie Vedder and Nusrat Fateh Ali-Khan on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack.

U2's ongoing collaboration with producer Brian Eno has certainly altered the group's aesthetic. Just listen to the changes pre- and post-Unforgettable Fire.

Johnny Cash's diverse list of recent cover songs is also very striking...

10. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

David Bowie and Bing Crosby's Peace on Earth was unexpected...Whether it was great or not is another story.