What's new

Great trailers and Lousy Trailers (1 Viewer)

Kami

Screenwriter
The trailer I re-watched more than any was probably the LOTR: The Two Towers trailer (not the teaser). The music in it is amazing (an epic remix of the requiem for a dream theme).

Unfortunately I can't find it on the net anymore...apple wants me to download itunes (no thanks) to even watch it. The TTT theatrical DVD has the trailer.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Me too. I think that it's absolutely superb. It very successfully taps into the mythos of the first Superman film. The combination of the dreamy imagery, the editing, Marlon Brando's voiceover, and John Williams' original Superman score almost gives me goosebumps. If the film lives up to the promise hinted at in this teaser then I'll be a happy camper.

Plus, there's no sign of "The Trailer Guy" who does the voiceover work on 99.9% of everything produced in LA these days. He is SO annoying! "In a world where..." - GROAN!

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

If you sign up to the http://www.movie-list.com/ message board, you'll get access to their Forum Exclusives Thread which carries ALL three Lord of the Rings trailers in great quality plus a slew of other amazing trailers that can't be found online.

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
I tend to like trailers that perfectly set the mood/spirit of the films, but don't give too much away.

In that respect, here are some of my favorites that I haven't seen mentioned, or have only been briefly mentioned:

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND -- Pefectly set up the mind-bending quirky weirdness of this film, set to ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky"... perfect

GARDEN STATE -- It was mentioned earlier, but both the teaser and the trailer are worth mentioning. The teaser was set to Frou Frou's "Let Go" and was fabulous. The trailer was set to The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" and Travis's "Love will Come Through." Neither really revealed much about the movie, but set up its tone perfectly.

THREE KINGS -- While the TV ads made this film seem more like "buddy action picture," the theatrical trailer did the film justice with its effective mix of comedy, poltical commmentary and drama, set to "I Just Want to Celebrate" by Rare Earth and "For What it's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I think it is Congressionasl Law that states every war movie has to have "For What It's Worth" in some form of marketing or "downtime" scene.

I think it passed unanimously ;)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Course, a friend of mine who I went to see the film with was disappointed that the song never appeared in the film. Course, I had to explain to him the nature of trailers and music, that neither have to do anything with the movie they are advertising.

Jason

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Just wanted to say my favorite trailer/teaser currently running is the "Lady in the Water." I loved it.

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I loved the trailer to Elizabethtown. Which happens to be one of my favorite movies also.
I actually was excited about King Kong until I saw the teaser and the trailer then it turned me off, but was pleasantly surprised when I went to see the film.

With Serenity, I don't think anyone knew how to market that film. "Firefly fans will love it!" doesn't really grab people's attention. A bunch of reviews from DVD websites and clips that didn't show that it had character development as well as great actions sequences didn't help any either.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I should clarify. She doesn't want to get too attached to a character, because it affects her hard when a character she likes dies. She also gets way deep into films, more so than most people. Some films could mess her up for a while.

Jason

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Any trailer that features THE VOICE - whether it's Don LaFontaine's or that of some wannabe - is among the "worst" trailers in my book. I am so-o-o sick of hearing that breathy, melodramatic tone with the same ominous inflections over and over and over that I now find out when the feature is actually going to begin and wait until a minute beforehand to go inside. But now you hear THE VOICE for t.v. spots for Network shows, video games --- can't get away from it. I wonder why the rest of America isn't as sick of these guys as I.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Current Trailers I constantly rewatch (I hope I'm not the only nut who does this) are The Fountain, Miami Vice, Lady in the Water, and until it came out, King Kong. All of these are some nicely put together Trailers. Also really like the Superman Returns Teaser, thats about to go into rotation as well :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks