What's new

Great time for games but where are they heading ... (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
Its a fantastic time to be a gamer right now, plenty of quality titles around whatever platform you own...but im a little concerned about the way things maybe heading. I'm all for online gaming and enjoy the odd fragging session online but i can see a time where games are gonna be exclusively available for download only. Im pretty sure thats the way MS and other companies wanna head, pay as you play if you like, taking away actually physically owning a game. I dont like the thought of that and the idea of them knowing what im playing and when then potentially charging me for more levels is something i definitely dont want. Maybe im wrong ...

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Well, that business model (per per play) certainly worked for Divx. ;) I wouldn't worry about it for the time being and just enjoy the games.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They're thinking of doing something along the lines of paying for a game, downloading it (or playing it streamed over the internet) and then being able to access the game from other consoles using your account without paying for it every time you play.

I much prefer the idea of having a physical copy of a game, like we have now.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Im pretty sure thats the way MS and other companies wanna head, pay as you play if you like, taking away actually physically owning a game.
Very little success has arisen from a company trying to force its customers to buy something which isn't really what they want. As long as there are enough people like yourself who still want to physically own a game, someone will fill that market.

The pessimism I feel about gaming is the growing scourge of platform exclusivity. Of course, this has always been the case, but the addition of online to consoles has ramped up the competition another notch. Now you have games where only a certain console has online capabilities. Pretty annoying if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks