1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Great SVS torture test track. Other owners' opinions please...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    I have an SVS 25-31PC and was listening to some heavy bass music one day when my brother approached me with a CD in hand. he said his binarual copy of a classical recording included an amazingly low organ section. i popped it into my new Marantz CC-4000 and had a go. with the volume set to 70 on my Onkyo 595, i had a listen to track #17.
    Wow.
    i say this 'wow' without stress towards positive or negative for 2 reasons. first, the bass was loud, made my sister's bathroom rattle, and was (IMO then) good sounding. he told me to put on my Sennheiser HD-580s and have a listen again. here comes the second part of the 'wow': the Senns put the SVS to shame. after hearing the organ's low, clean output through headphones, i almost cannot listen to the loud boominess of the SVS attempting to play the recording back.
    i'd like to see if some of you people with Ultras (that can go lower and sound better than my 25-31PC) can hear a clean, smooth-sounding low G. i also have not calibrated anything and have crappy speakers that crack when i turn it up, so this may be part of the problem. but it actually sounds like an organ thru the 580s.
    since this is a hard-to-find CD (my bro picked it up in Germany), i'm making a 48 sec clip available (in uncompressed .wav format) for people to demo. here's a link to the 8 MB clip of the recording. the recording is of C. Saint-Saens' Symphony #3 in C Minor, opus 78. i don't listen to much classical, but this is amazing.
    he has perfect pitch, so for reference he says the note that's held from 11-15 sec is a C-1 (32.7hz), from 21-25 sec is a G-0 (24.5hz), and from 31-35 sec is an E-1 (41.2hz). the E-1 is the most room-shaking on my SVS, though the C-1 comes out loud and clear also. the G-0 is not really recognizable as a note thru the sub like it is thru the headphones.
    thanks to all who give honest opinions! if any of you want to hear a different section of the piece, or want a compressed .mp3 version, please don't hesitate to email me! i can only store 15 MB on my other geocities account, so if someone can offer to host a few clips, i'd really appreciate it, as i really want your input here. thanks!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    Click here to visit my webpage.

2. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

This is one of my favorite pieces of music, and will definitely test any subwoofer..
    You can get very good recordings of this piece from numerous sources, go to a large record store, they will have it.
    -- John
    ------------------

3. TysonN

TysonN Agent

With the SVS you are undoubtedly hearing room modes, with the 580's you are not. You shoud get an RS meter and a disk of test frequencies to see exactly how much the room is causing problems. A nice EQ would get you much cleaner sounding bass and much closer to a "flat" response.

4. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

If you really want to test clean solid bass find a recording of Holst's the Planets played by the Montreal Symphony conducted by Charles Dutoit. This is universally considered to be the best recording of the Planets over all. It was originally on the London Decca label, but I think it has been re-release on a different label. In the 5th track at 8:00 the organ comes in on a low E (EEE) and later in the track at 9:07 the organ comes in again on a low E again only this time it descends down to the C below that (CCC, the lowest note on the organ). Even though this is a soft part the organ notes will cause the entire house to rumble. On track 6 at 5:10 There is a large full orchestra chord with the organ pedals playing a low E, the only difference is that this time it is played LOUD. Be careful when you play it as it goes from very soft right before that to very loud. You can easily damage your equip if you turn it up to high while listening to the very soft part before the huge chord.
    [Edited last by Martin G on August 12, 2001 at 02:40 PM]

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    quote: You can get very good recordings of this piece from numerous sources, go to a large record store, they will have it.[/quote]
    but is it the binaural recording? THAT's hard to find, and there is no SUBstitute for it! (pardon the pun!)
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    [Edited last by Thomas_Berg on August 12, 2001 at 01:37 AM]

6. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Top of the line Sennheisers should put any HT system to shame. There are a whole host of loudspeaker and room design contraints that headphones do not have to deal with. Everyone in the 2 channel world knows that sound quality wise headphones are the best you can do.
    Within the limitations of home systems, you do say you have not calibrated anything, and have "crappy" speakers. Well, if the harmonics aren't right then the fundamental won't be right either. Also, SVS themselves states that for organ and other real low freq music, the 16-46 and Ultra series are the way to go.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

7. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

The folks here have outstanding points.. Let me make a few more quick points too:
    1) The SVS folks keep saying over and over, "if you like organ music get a 16-49, or better." The piece of music you reference definitely falls into this category.. [​IMG]
    2) You are also likely experiencing some "midbass compression" from having a powerful subwoofer, and speakers that cannot keep up with the low bass and mid-bass harmonics.
    3) The comments about your room and very important but also your amplification is an issue here as well.
    Bottom line, to compare your speakers with a top notch set of headphones is a rough comparison, but at least you know the sound you can be shooting for!!
    Do you routinely listen to this kind of music ??
    If not don't worry about it..
    Take care,
    -- Cain
    ------------------

8. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thx Martin_G now I'm gonna look all over for that..
    Do you think Telarc may have this recording or one similar???
    Take care,
    -- Cain
    ------------------

9. AVspec

AVspec Supporting Actor

Mark
    A guy at my work mentioned a CD he has that is used for testing the bass of car's that perform in car stereo contests and that if not careful with his crossovers has blown a few of his midranges in his car doors out. I ask if he could bring it in for me to borrow so as soon as I have my hands on it I will let you all know what it is called and how it sounds/tests subs.
    ------------------
    -Mark
    **** Digital Vortex ****
    The Digital Electronic Site
    www.digitalvortex.com

10. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

John,
    Here's a link to Telarc's release of the Saint-Saen piece:
    http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0274&mscssid=HMVKC28RHESR2PA60G05AFUR QWXL3BME
    and they have 2 of The Planets...one of my all time favorites:
    http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/search.asp?mscssid=HMVKC28RHESR2PA60G05AFURQWXL3BM E&usrSearchBy=3&s=Holst&q=cbk
    I checked Chesky but no go. Any other "audiophile labels" to check?
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Steve_D on August 12, 2001 at 09:28 AM]

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i looked at the Telarc link, and that is the right piece. however, Hector Olivera was the organist in mine, and the site doesn't say it was recorded in binarual. i'm not sure how many people are familiar with this sort of recording, but it is BEYOND BELIEF with a great set of 'phones.
    someone let me know if you want me to explain what binaural recordings are.
    John Cain: no, i dont listen to this kind of music too much, but i do enjoy the occasional listen to a loud section of classical music. i'm more of a rock/rap/classic rock type, and the SVS is 'orchestral' in reproducing those sounds. (oh man the puns are getting bad)
    ------------------
    -Thomas

12. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

Here is a link to where you can get the Planets played by the Montreal Symphony http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...354661-6814957 There are many many other recordings of the planets out there, but non of them come close in comparison to this one overall. Don't be fooled by cheap price of this recording or the relatively unknown orchestra, as far as the planets go this is THE recording to own. I would stay away from the Bernstein recording and the Stokowski one. Of course at the price of the Dutoit recording I can't see any reason not the buy it.

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

These headphones can really play that low (

14. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

15. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Bob_A: yes, they go all the way down to 20hz. they are the best headphones i have ever held to my ears. and for $180, the Senn HD-580s are a STEAL! check them out...you will be pleasantly surprised.
    note: they HAVE been discontinued, but most places will still have backstock. they were replaced with the inferior HD-590s.
    ------------------
    -Thomas

16. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

I thought the 580's were replaced by the 600? These are Senn's top of the line now, and considered among the best. I see them online for around $225-270, except express.com had them for $135 so I jumnped on them, but they are not shipped yet so I assume I'll get an e-mail saying sorry we made a mistake [​IMG]
    Either way, good headphone specs can be amazing. Like the HD600 are 12 HZ to 39 KHZ. I remember my older pair of Senny's were +-.5 db from 20 to 20.
    John asked for the Telarc versions so those are the links I provided.
    ------------------

17. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

You can also try Telarc's "Great Fantasy Adveture" cd.
    These are mostly movie soundtracks played by the Cincinatti Pops,and Erick Kunnzel.
    The track you want to try is the last titled the "Jurasic Lunch". 13sec into it there is the first of the T REX's "step",and it's register around 12hz or so,the are several more "steps" that stays below 20hz,Check it out it's fun!
    ------------------
    "You Hungarians always disagree"

18. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Very nice bass.... I burned that clip onto a CD RW, it turns out the Denon 2800 will play Audio on an RW ;-)
    My fiance is a Music Major so we've got plenty of Classical music around. The problem is that most of the time the recordings are less then stellar. I have the DTS release of Holst's The Planets and although not quite as nice as this track, it still has some nice bass (not to mention DTS surround)
    Brian

19. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

O yeah, and I was playing it on a SVS PC36-20 ;-)

20. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas