Great Stupid Movie Coming - Lost Continent (1951)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Oct 4, 2001.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I am a sucker for stupid movies that feature dinosaurs, however badly they're done. 1951's Lost Continent featuring Cesar Romero, Hugh Beaumont (you know - Beaver's dad) and some other character actors which you ought to recognize, certainly qualifies.
    Here's a plot summary: A missile goes awry and lands on a South Pacific island (I'll give something away here because I just can't believe the stupidity - you would expect that a missile hurtling towards the earth would be utterly destroyed upon impact. Not so here - it sticks in the ground like an arrow!). A team, led by Cesar Romero, is dispatched to locate and retrieve the data it collected. They find that the missile has landed on a plateau on an island. When they reach the top, they find a strange land inhabited by prehistoric monsters (forturnately, no lizards with attachments). Adventures ensue. It ends with your standard earthquake.
    This used to be a Saturday morning staple when I was a kid in the fifties. It hasn't been shown much since, but I was able to make a copy the last time it was broadcast many years ago. Unfortunately, I copied it to Beta. My Beta machine broke long ago and I decided not to repair/replace it and so I was out.
    But now, it's coming to dvd! Here's a quote from Dvd Price Search:

2. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

This is on my "must buy" list along with The Crawling Eye which is also coming out in December.
    The stupidest dinosaur movie on DVD has got to be Dinosaurous. Any movie that has a caveman running away scared from a flushing toilet and a woman in hair rollers has got to be on the top of the list.
    Unknown Island is also a fun movie on DVD, mainly because seeing a Allosaurous fighting a giant ape is right up there in great screen match-ups.
    [Edited last by Jay E on October 04, 2001 at 07:49 AM]

3. alan halvorson

Yeah, Unknown Island is a treasure - unbelievably dumb. That Allosauraus is bolt upright too, so obviously a guy in a suit, and moves so slowly my grandmother with a walker could outrace it. You gotta love it.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on October 04, 2001 at 09:49 AM]

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sounds like fun!
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

5. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Now if only they were releasing the Mystery Science Theater 3000 version of Lost Continent...
    "Look, Joel: rock climbing."
    I'm not sure how much appeal the original film has for me without Joel and the 'bots.
    doug
    ------------------
    "How can it be the same movie if they've changed my character from a
    tightly-wound convenience-store clerk to a jittery Eskimo
    firefighter?... uh huh... uh huh... uh huh. Well, that's actually a
    pretty good explanation..."
    --James Woods, on The Simpsons

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

gee, that reminds me....I hope we see THE LAND UNKNOWN, and Irwin Allens
    THE LOST WORLD(1960), both 'scope pictures on DVD one of these days...
    both stoopid, but fun... [​IMG]
    ------------------

7. alan halvorson

The Land Unknown is already on a cheap dvd. 1960's Lost World would be a gas also, but, unfortunately, they used the "lizard with attachments" technique and thus it doesn't rank quite as high with me.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

8. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    'Lizards With Attachments' was also the technique used in Journey To The Center Of The Earth, but I got kind of a kick out of it....I wonder if the back fin of real dimetrodons swayed back and forth like that......
    Cheers

9. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    Maybe we should start a 'Lizards With Attachments' thread [​IMG]