Great Sounding Economical Processor???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gareth, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

Dear HTF team,

I'm putting together a home theater for my bedroom. I'm looking for an economical, but great sounding processor. My main home theater has an ADA Cinema Rhapsody (2k) which would be overkill. The amps I've put together are 3 Parasound HCA-1000s. The speakers are 4 NHT SB3's and the center is an NHT SC-1.

I have an extra Sony SDP-E800 ($100) processor which is great, but I'm a fan of DTS and this processor doesn't handle that. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Gareth

2. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Gareth,

"economical" and "great sounding" are both basically value judgements, so it would be a help if you could indicate maybe a rough budget ($200? $600?) and examples of "bad sounding" or "good sounding" gear you may have heard.

Are there any particular features (other than DTS) that you might need/wish?

Regards,

Mike

3. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

I love my H/K 320 but the NAD T751 and the Outlaw 1050 are very nice also. The Outlaw is on 499.00 direct very good price for very good equipment.
    www.outlawaudio.com

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here's an economical processor. Great sounding? Some of us want to find out....

5. Dzung Pham

Dzung Pham Second Unit

You may want to check out the Technics SH-AC500 which can be had for much less than $200 on ebay. The Pioneer VSX-D810 Receiver has pre-outs, DTS-ES and a multichannel input and can be had for around $300. If you go up to $500, you should be able to find plenty of used quality units that will DD/DTS 5.1.

6. Nestor Magkawas

Nestor Magkawas Auditioning

Hi guys,

I was trying to find out how the SH-AC500 works, does it have a surround+center amp or only pre-outs?

7. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Don: