Great 'Song of the South' DVD article with HTF mention

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael St. Clair, May 15, 2002.

1. Michael St. Clair

I didn't see this in a search, and it is certainly deserving of its own thread.
    http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/2620498.html
    A very good article. Hopefully some of the more controversial shorts being released on DVD will keep nudging the door open for this classic.

2. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Great article! I wonder if anyone at Disney has read it.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

The petition has a new signature.

I guess that we can totally forget about a truly uncut version of "Fantasia" though. That's way too politically incorrect for Disney.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

You're welcome. I selected that article to run in the newspaper. (I'm the entertainment wire editor for the Star Tribune.) I've been sitting on it since it moved on the wires several months ago and finally got a chance to get it into the paper a few weeks ago. One important thing: The online version of the story does not contain the notation that the article is a COMMENTARY piece--heavily infused with personal opinion--as the newspaper version did.

5. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Glad to see that at least some commentary on the issue still exists, even if the DVD doesn't.

6. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    very nice read.

According to songofthesouth.net, the DVD looks like it will be coming very soon.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

But also according to songofthesouth.net a Google discussion is quoted as saying:

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

It is funny how Disney won't release this movie. But, bases a whole attraction(Splash Mountain) on it at their theme parks.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

That, and something putting it in an historical perspective is fine with me, and probably called for considering the reputation that the film has (unfairly, IMHO) picked up over the years. Just don't mess with the film itself---I fear that they may feel compelled to excise the Tar Baby episode completely, which would bring jeers aplenty from the HTF world.