Great scenes on the big screen...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Vader, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    After a discussion about the merits of exactly what makes up the "theater experience" in HT, a big factor was the percieved size of the screen. a friend and I got talking about many signiture scenes that greatly benefit from being "bigger than life", including the opening from "Star Wars" (the star destroyer flyover), and "Return of the King" (the rotating areal shots of the battle in the fields before Minas Tirith). Then there are the films with great outdoor scenery (eg. "Dances with Wolves"). What are some others?

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

In my mind, the best example would be Lawrence Of Arabia.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The Chariot Race from the remake of Ben Hur. You have not experienced this until you have seen it projected on a large screen in a movie theater.

- Steve

4. Jamie Summers

Jamie Summers Auditioning

for sheer beauty a good print of Blue Velvet on the big screen is incredible. ditto the redux prints of Apocalypse Now were stunningly beautiful and the sound design in a theatre with good sound was beyond belief.

Jamie

5. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

The opening battle scenes in Gladiator.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The first 141 minutes of 2001: A Space Odyssey [​IMG]

Regards,

7. GregK

GregK Screenwriter

Without a doubt- The entire presentation of original 3 panel Cinerama feature HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I am still looking forward to whatever WB eventually delivers to HD-DVD and DVD, but it will always pale to the original theatrical presentations.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

In Titanic when the ship sets sail and also during the sinking. Simply amazing.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ken, [​IMG].

10. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

The opening 30 minutes of Saving Private Ryan

The opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark

Andy

11. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Great scenes on the big screen are not limited to larger than life subjects. Any good composition will be greatly enhanced (or should I say revealed) by a large screen.

I was floored by the widescreen composition of Red Beard the first time of saw it a couple of weeks ago (90" screen). Few movies use the wider aspect ratio so efficiently, yet the movie is dialogue heavy and largely takes place indoors. The spacial relationship between characters and features in the more formal scenes would be less evident and impactful on a tube. I can only imagine what a theatrical screening would have been like.

--
    H

12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Dune was a breathtaking film on the big screen.

13. Jamie Summers

Jamie Summers Auditioning

That's one of the only Lynch films I haven't seen on the big screen, keep hoping my local arthouse will get around to it as they've shown all his others in the last few years.

Jamie

14. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

1.The first time we see Grace Kelly in REAR WINDOW. It is a point of view from Jimmy Stewart of her beautiful face. There are not too many women these days in film who are that stunning.

2. The opening credits of REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE when James Dean is lying on the ground playing with the toy Monkey. The Cinemascope Cinematography (very well lit) and the music score is fantastic. It is one film that cannot be watched PAN/SCAN.

3. In BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, the flashback scene towards the end of the film. The way the scene was lit, the dialog of the actors, and the quiet music score were extremely effective and enhanced that pivotal scene.

4. The Czechoslavakia invasion in THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING. Phillip Kaufman switches the film to a documentary feeling during that segment. It still impresses me very much whenever I watch the film.

5. NORMA RAE, when Sally Field stands up on the table with the sign. It is a great scene.

15. Vincent_P

Vincent_P Screenwriter

The entirety of Dario Argento's SUSPIRIA. I first came to know this film via home video and while I liked it, I never ranked it near the top of Argento's work. It never really clicked with me why this film was so popular until I saw it projected in 35mm. Mind you, this wasn't even an ideal 35mm presentation, being the edited U.S. print of the film and not exactly in, shall we say, pristine shape...

And even with those potential drawbacks, SUSPIRIA came alive on a big screen in 35mm in a way that it never did on home video. Scenes that seemed superfluous or boring on video have a palpable energy to them on film, and the frame is just bursting with so much visual detail that every shot suddenly makes sense. I'd really love to see the actual uncut version projected in a good print some day, 'cause if a ragged print of the cut version could work as well as it did on a big screen I can't even begin to imagine how well a nice print of the uncut version must play.

Vincent