1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Great Pumpkin 10/28 on ABC

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by ElevSkyMovie, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

This will probably sound stupid, but I have to rant somewhere.

Sat down last night to watch this with my 2 boys. Transfer was pretty old, not nearly as good as the dvd, but we watched anyway.

So the Halloween party scene comes up, Lucy bobs for an apple, kisses Snoopy and then wham, Snoopy is in the pumpkin patch with Linus and Lucy. Did they think we wouldn't notice they cut out the scene with Schroeder playing the piano and Snoopy dancing, marching, laughing and crying?

I suppose ABC wanted another couple of minutes of commercials, so they cut that part out. "Noboby will miss it." The show isn't even that long, is it? Do they really need to cut 2 minutes out of it?

That kind of craps irritates me. Thankfully we can purchase the full version on dvd.

2. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

You know I thought I noticed that to. Not a big deal for me, but noticeable nonetheless

3. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I have it on DVD and don't watch it on TV, and even cutting a second of this classic should be outlawed!!!

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

They also cut out Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown towards the beginning of the special.

5. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Am I the only one that misses the Dolly Madison and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese ads? (I'm old).

6. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

I missed the first minute or so, didn't know that. How can you cut *THAT* scene out?!?

ABC should be shot. [​IMG]

7. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

8. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    It also seemed like the opening music was speeded up - the show was probably time-compressed as well. And the networks wonder why their ratings keep dropping. [​IMG]

9. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

That parts sticks out in my mind more than any other in the special [​IMG]. Cant believe they cut it.

Thats why I never watch Network TV. I put up with it only for The Simpsons.

Sad becuase even if you have it on DVD its not the same, having grown up watching on TV.

I felt this with the Grinch. Usually I complain about the commercials and such but putting in the DVD isnt the same as the anticipation of watching it on TV.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

11. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Yet another great reason to own the Holiday Classics on DVD.

I understand that ABC is in business to sell advertising space, but c'mon! Isn't there anyone at that network who actually CARES about programming like this?

Back when my sister and I were little, the "annuals" were a HUGE deal at my house. Since this was way before DVD (and several years before VHS became prominent), once-a-year was the only time we could catch the Charlie Brown specials, the Grinch, all those wonderful animated specials with Baby New Year and Frosty, etc.

Sure, plenty of parents can now break out these shows on DVD and that's fantastic. It just saddens me a little to see a quaint little annual tradition fall by the wayside in the name of simple corporate greed.

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I don't mind ABC's dishonesty half as much as I mind their opinion of us. [​IMG]