GREAT PRICE on the Panasonic PT-47WX49, now what??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Da Silva, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Alright guys now I'm totally confused, I was all set to purchase the Sony 36XBR450 this weekend for about $2000 when I get a call from my friend that works at Panasonic and he tells me that he can get me the 47inch 16:9 HDTV for a price of $1250 plus $150 shipping and handling!!! So now I have no idea what to do?? Should I just go for the Sony or should I buy the Panasonic for $1400??? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------

2. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

I've got the same basic dilemma but using a 25% off coupon at K-Mart for the 47" Panasonic or buy a 50" Toshiba from Sears for $600.00 more.
    I'm reading on the forums that the Panasonic almost needs an ISF to look REAL good. Of course the Panasonic owners will suggest we go with Panny and for the money spent with our discounts we could have it ISF'd and be around the same price or less than our other choices. I do have more brand name recognition with Toshiba or Sony over Panasonic but the Panasonic's are nice too.
    Maybe the question is: if money were not an object, which TV would I WANT. I think the answer for me is that I was decided on the Tosh and then the discount came into the play and made me second guess. Perhaps I'll go with my initial choice. The money saved will be forgotten about in a year anyway.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    My uneducated thoughts:
    the Sony direct, Tosh RPTV and Panny RPTV all benefit greatly from a good calibration / tweeking. I dont think the panny is really any / better or worst than the Tosh, and once calibrated BOTH look outstanding!!!
    $1450 is almost too good to be true. JUMP ON IT!!!!
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units
    [Edited last by Gregg Loewen on September 06, 2001 at 11:57 AM]

4. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I narrowed my choices down to the 47" Panny and 36" Sony 36HS20 and choose the Panny for the following reasons:
    * I was able to get the Panny for ~ $500 less than the Sony and its stand. I used that savings to get it calibrated.
    * Although I still watch some 4:3 material, I decided to get a 16:9 TV for my DVD collection and High Def. Broadcasts. I tend to stretch 4:3 material which I can live with. With the Sony, you will always have bars on the top and bottom for widescreen DVDs and HD broadcasts.
    * With the current HD offerings and upcoming offerings like HDnet, CBS College Football, US Open Tennis, New Fall shows from CBS, ABC, FOX (480p 16:9) and hopefully NBC, I'm glad I choose a 16:9 set.
    I'm sure the Toshiba would have also been a consideration if Sears was carrying it when I made my purchase! But at $1400, it would be a no brainer! Good Luck with your decision! [​IMG]

5. Matt Perkins

Matt Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Woah, Dennis -- you wouldn't happen to know where a fellow in, say, Minnesota could find one of those 25% off coupons, would you???
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Oh, just saw your other post. Guess I'll have to move, or something ... !
    [Edited last by Matt Perkins on September 06, 2001 at 01:02 PM]

6. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I would scoop up the Panny in a second (I don't own either one).
    Bigger screen, 16X9 ratio, and cheaper? I don't see how you couldn't go for it...