What's new

Great post 1995 bands...is there any? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have to point out that nirvana's first (more or less..) album was titled BLEACH and came out in 1989 on sub-pop. It was never very popular and didn't create any bandwagon.. but it just sounded like you meant nevermind was their first album, which it wasn't.
Not sure if you're referring to my post or Mike's, but I'm well aware of "Bleach" - I own a copy. He seemed to feel that "Nevermind" caused PJ to jump on the grunge bandwagon, and my post intended to show that was impossible...

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Obviously my view of who is or isn't important is going to be very, very biased. REM may be far more relevant than I consider them to be but not being a fan of them, I naturally tend not to give them as much credit. I knew that naming names would cause a little bit of a backlash, because I'm doomed to step on somebody's toes when trying to share my view.

I agree strongly that radio play does not equal greatness. I tried to make a little adjustment to the radio play yardstick by ruling out "One Hit Wonders". I'm just saying that there is a fairly strong correlation between long-term, large-catalog radio play, and how much of an artists music has become part of the collective consciousness.

My apologies to all for the Nirvana/Pearl Jam historical mix-up. I do know about Bleach being Nirvana's first album and I didn't HEAR Pearl Jam until a year after I heard Nirvana's "Nevermind" and made a bad assumption. I'm certain that there were quite a few grunge bands kicking around during those days, some of whom were probably even better than the aforementioned and never got a contract.

Perhaps it was the MTV/Radio execs who jumped on the grunge bandwagon and propelled it into the mainstream.

-Mike...

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Mike, I think you could blame MTV and radio execs, but the record labels signed Seattle bands like mad when Nirvana hit. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Mudhoney are the ones that come to mind, but Nirvana's popularity also saw increased exposure for The Meat Puppets (and The Melvins too, right?). Radio tends to follow trends, not set them. I wouldn't blame the bands.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Chalk it up to Mike DeCock being a victim of Generation X: Whatever the media tells him is important, he believes. That's cool, bro, I lived through The Captain and Tennille. JH

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

I was a senior in high school in '86 (I'm 34). The media was telling me it was cool to be Duran Duran, Motley Crue, Phil Collins, and Madonna. I listened to Rush, Zeppelin, Yes, and the Who in high school. Luckily, I was a good writer (back in the day), could play a little guitar, and a little basketball, and was considered decent looking. I wish there was a Nirvana or a Pearl Jam that shook up that decade like so much music has, both before and since. My firm belief is that Generation X only exists because the 1980's was a cultural black hole. Jan.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I think you could blame MTV and radio execs, but the record labels signed Seattle bands like mad when Nirvana hit. Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Mudhoney are the ones that come to mind, but Nirvana's popularity also saw increased exposure for The Meat Puppets (and The Melvins too, right?). Radio tends to follow trends, not set them. I wouldn't blame the bands.
mudhoney was on subpop and put their first album out in 89 too. In fact, all their albums were on subpop I think, so they weren't ever on a major label (is sub pop still in business or did they fold?)
IMO you have to go back to bands like sonic youth, and maybe L7 fits there too. I think thats where the whole movement started and I think Nirvana was just following them, but when they hit geffen became a commercial hit they broke the whole thing. I've always wanted to watch "198X the year punk broke" but could never find a copy (can't remember the year in the title, I think it's 1989?)
the latest meat puppets album is actually quite good, I previewed it out of a radio station library, sonic youth has an album coming out in a month, so maybe they didn't kill it, it just became unpopular again.
so what does ANY of this matter to the topic at hand? beats me, it's 1am, night :)
[/random 1am ramblings that don't make sense to anyone but me]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if you're referring to my post or Mike's, but I'm well aware of "Bleach" - I own a copy. He seemed to feel that "Nevermind" caused PJ to jump on the grunge bandwagon, and my post intended to show that was impossible...
Ohhh I mis-interpreted then, sorry.
though, I think nirvana and PJ jumped on the sonic youth bandwagon :)
god speaking of the melvins, they opend for tool when I saw them in like 1998 or so, MAN did they suck live.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Jan,

I couldn't agree with you more about the 80's being a cultural black hole. I listened to pretty much the same music you did, five years later, even! Because 80's popular music was sooo bad (in many ways worse, even than today) I have always shied away from pop music.

I know that we've deviated quite a lot from the intent of this thread, but I can't think of a whole lot of bands who started after 1975 that I really, really dig. There's maybe twenty or so artists from 1940-1975 that I "couldn't live without", there's only about 5-10 artists from 1975-2002 I will always like.

-Mike...

David Head

Second Unit
Hmmmm...interesting question. Without getting into a debate about what anyone thinks is a "great band", the following list comes to mind of artists that are selling a LOT of CDs AND selling out concerts:

Creed - 1995

Eminem - 1999 (and I'm NOT a rap fan...)

I thought I had one more in the Dixie Chicks, but they were formed in the early 90s. Also, Train was formed in 1994 so that eliminated them.

Here are a few other bands that I enjoy that may also end up fitting into this category based on sales and fan base:

3 Doors Down - 2000?

Coldplay - 1998

Matchbox Twenty - 1996

Nickelback - 1996

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member