Great Pavement news

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonaldB, Aug 6, 2002.

1. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

From Matador's website:

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I've never listened to Pavement, but I hear that "Slanted & Enchanted" is their best work. Should I give this a listen?

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Yes, S&E is worth a listen. It's an album that will grow on you -- as your mind begins to separate the layers of noise and find the different stuff that's going on underneath.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Sweet news on the re-issue! I've been meaning to buy this on CD for a while now, to replace the tape I left behind in the UK two years ago. I'll be waiting an extra couple of months.

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

All of the bonus tracks should make it a worthwhile purchase for folks who never had the singles of "Summer Babe" and "Trigger Cut," because the B-sides on those are some of Pavement's strongest material, as is the Watery, Domestic EP. "Summer Babe" was the first Pavement record I ever bought (1991) and I played the hell out of the song "Baptiss Blacktick."

I'm a bit skeptical about the remastering, though, since these recordings were made in such rudimentary fashion and probably can't be improved upon, nor should they be.

And I can't wait to finally see the DVD, which has been so much vaporware for the better part of three years now. Early reports from those that have seen fragments of the documentary say it's very well done.

6. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

This is looking even better!

7. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Very, very cool. I only wish they were still together. I take it there's not much likelihood of that happening? I haven't kept up.

8. chris_atl

chris_atl Auditioning

I recently heard an interview with Stephen Malkmus in which he said he still pursues individual projects *and you should pick up his latest one* and that Pavement does not have any plans forseeable future.

9. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

Camp, Malkmus's new band is called The Jicks and Scott Kannberg's new band is The Preston School of Industry. They each released their first album last year on Matador Records. I liked the Malkmus album but was quite disappointed with Preston's.

I have no idea if they've actually had a falling out which would preclude them from getting back together, or whether they've simply decided to "go in different directions." Pavement originally described the break-up as a hiatus that might last for a couple of years, but there have been no signs at all that they're getting back together.