What's new

great news from the Peter Staddon Chat regarding older classic titles (1 Viewer)

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Alas, I can never make these chats b/c of work on the West Coast, but if Peter's lurking, I hope he takes note of "Naked Lunch."

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i do appreciate reps from the studios making themselves available.
after graciously fielding question after question about why there isn't a Roswell boxed set, Peter deserves a nice little holiday bonus, imo.

But after going back and reading the transcript from the Warner chat, my comments about the corporate mentality stands.
in that chat, the reps indicate that VHS sales were being used as the barometer as to whether they would consider releasing a property on dvd.
WTF izzat?
i've had a vcr since 1985 and have probably purchased 10 pre-recorded tapes in that time.
i've owned a dvd player for 3 years now and have about 600 discs.

i go into Best Buy and do my own little inventory.
3 weeks after it streets there is 131 copies of Insomnia on the shelves, 36 copies of Joe Somebody, 47 copies of The New Guy.
0 copies of The Thin Man, 0 copies of Shop Around The Corner, & 0 copies of Horror of Dracula, to name but three.

10 weeks from now there will still be over 100 copies of Insomnia, 35 copies of Joe Somebody, and 47 copies of the New Guy.

11 weeks from now they will finally have gotten one copy of Invaders From Mars, which will be on the shelf for about 4 hrs before someone buys it.

corporate mentality in a nutshell

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but if there we equal numbers of Insomnia and The Thin Man, for example, which do you think would sell more? You have to remember, the stores get new shipments for the big titles much more often then for the obscure titles. Also, I believe that the stores order their own product, and the studios fufill the demand. In which case "the corporate mentality" is infact propogated by the retail market, not the studios:) So, I must respectfully stand by my critique of your remark:)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta say something here...

I am so proud of all of you.

We stopped doing live chats for a long period
of time -- mostly for the fact that the studios
went out of their way to talk with all of you, only
to be met with angry feedback the following day.

I realize Peter Staddon and Fox is always the
exception to the rule, but it is really nice to
see everyone upbeat after a studio chat. It really
holds promise for future chats with other studios.

Also, for the most part, everyone was extremely
well mannered last night and did a nice job of
adhering to our chat procedures.

It really was one of the best chats we have had.

Look forward to having Peter back next year.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
no offense to Peter or anyone else personally.
i was merely commenting on "the suits".
imo, corporate is corporate, whether its a studio or a national retail electronics chain.
i've talked to the kids that actual work there and they are well aware of some of the boneheadedly disproportionate amounts of stock they recieve.
i'm not expecting 131 copies of Thin Man, but how about..oh...say, maybe 2?
is that a lot to ask?
good grief.

i really don't want these last few missives to be taken as bile-spewing.

while i AM disappointed about the news regarding some titles i'd hoped to see, i do realize there is some very positive news to focus on here.

BTW,
i'm not really that upset about ATJ because i've had the R4 disc for several months now.
yes it does look and sound great, and i don't really notice the PAL speed up (though i don't have this particular soundtrack burned in my memory nodes like i do for some other films).
i'll be looking forward to The Rose.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I commend Peter for being as gracious as he was with his time, especially after he spent 40 minutes trying to work around techinical difficulties. Was heartened to hear of several projects in the pipeline at Fox that are of interest to me. Most unfortunately, St. Elsewhere was not among them. :frowning:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Paul, I'm glad to see that there is someone else who thinks that the marketing plans for "All That Jazz" are
not quite right. I don't plan on buying any of the titles that it is apparently going to be marketed with. With apologies to Mr Staddon it is my belief that the R1 "All That Jazz" would sell well at any time of year and without the supposed boost provided by associated titles like "Chicago" & should have been released some time ago. Since I already own a R2 version, my concern & comments are for those fans who are not multi-regional & have to keeping waiting.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I was damn disappointed to find out fox has no rights to BH 90210...I wonder who does. Guess this one may never hit the streets.:frowning:
The chat with peter was great(didn't make it but read the transcript)
if anyone knows who has the rights...let me know...I'm curious
dan

Rollie

Stunt Coordinator
A very informative chat! A few titles were mentioned that I haven't thought about in a long while. Fear of A Black Hat would be awesome on DVD! And it will be great if we get an Alien 3: Director's Cut soon! I just don't see what else can be done to the other films in the set. The Box Set seems pretty definitive as is.
Just one question for Peter and for FOX. Where is The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD? I know that Peter acknowledged its cult following awhile ago in another chat. He stated that it would not be part of the 2002 slate, but that's the last we heard of it. So what are the chances of seeing this film in 2003? A Renny Harlin/Dice Clay commentary would be great too! :emoji_thumbsup:
My hair! My Hair!

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I'm willing to send Fox some dollars to pay their lawyers to resolve the legal issues on BATMAN the Original Series.
Sounds great that the desire is there, just not the legal clearance. Darn.
And who controls Max Headroom?
Dan

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I think I can help clear some questions that are lingering from the Staddon chat.

Fox no longer owns the rights to FEAR OF A BLACK HAT. It was an ITC production that briefly got transferred to Polygram, and is now owned by Carlton Communications. The late-80's ITC productions have recently been licensed for DVD in a joint venture between Barnholtz Communications and Artisan Entertainment, the first being THE LAST SEDUCTION. They would be most likely to release it. I just hope they add the hilarious "Ice Froggy Frog" video that Fox had on their initial rental tapes.

O.C. & STIGGS is owned by MGM.

While Fox produced the animated THE TICK, the live-action show was actually produced by Columbia TriStar for the Fox network, so the two should be petitioned separately.

Peter would know better, but CEMETERY MAN, along with a few other October Films video pickups (SECRETS & LIES, CAREER GIRLS, KICKED IN THE HEAD) could possibly be reverting to the successor company from October, Focus Features. In which case Universal would be the proper petitionee. But again, Fox's rights may still be in effect a few more years. Also, as with MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, Fox may not have access to uncut or widescreen materials, merely to the version prepared by the Italian distributor for October when they bought it.

THE QUIET EARTH was part of a package the former CBS/Fox picked up from the defunct Skouras Pictures. (Other titles in that lineup were SHADEY, BELIZAIRE THE CAJUN, and X: THE UNHEARD MUSIC) It's been over ten years (a generally industry rights standard) since these were available, so I suspect Fox's rights have lapsed. I do not know who the rights inheritors would be for the Skouras library. (Confusing things further, apparently the name has been revived once again, but no product has been released from the new Skouras, and no word if they retained those original titles.

)Historical footnote -- this deal was a "homecoming" of sorts, as the indie was founded by relatives of former Fox studio president Spyros Skouras. Thought that would amuse you.

Fox released the "classic 39" HONEYMOONERS episodes when they were still in a co-venture with CBS. As such, Paramount now owns those shows.

THE BOYS IN THE BAND is also a CBS-owned property that now belongs to Paramount.

Before we go slapping the back of Criterion (Mr. Staddon pleaded quiet for a reason, folks), my first suspicion would actually be Image Entertainment as the mystery licensor. They already have a track record with Fox, releasing selected titles like THE TWELVE CHAIRS, ZORRO THE GAY BLADE, THE MAN WITH BOGART'S FACE, and A ROOM WITH A VIEW.

I'm kicking myself for not being able to participate in the chat -- lord knows I had a few faves I wanted to plant seeds for (*coughSHOCK TREATMENT, *harumphMYRA BRECKINRIDGE, *achooTHE LEOPARD). But I want to add my gratitude to Mr. Staddon for coming, the forum for hosting, and for all of us demonstrating decorum despite whatever disappointing news we may have gotten.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I am very disappointed about the Classic R&H Musicals, especially when every week we are seeing several Software Companies releasing obscure crappy titles that I'm sure nobody has ever heard of, or would let alone buy.

I find it hard to believe that Fox could not make a profit out of these Gigantic Classic Musicals, if given SE and Anamorphic Status.

Sad also that nobody asked about any of the older classic Musicals with Grable, Faye, Miranda, Ameche, Merman, etc.

But I suppose if they can't make any money out of the R&H Musicals, then there will be little hope of any of the other older titles ever being released.

Thank goodness for Cable TV.

( and I will continue to say my prayers every night)

Anthony_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony
Unfortunately I must again express my disappointment in the lack of indication for the original Planet of the Apes in an SE format. I have been crying for this release on these pages for so long I believe I am literally out of tears...

A.T.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
First on the OAR support, I can only talk from Fox's pov but we are unwavering
in our support for OAR. That does not mean that we will release Pan and Scan versions as well,
but OAR will always be available.
I love this man!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
When Peter Staddon mentioned that One Million Years B.C. would be released in 2003 "along with other Raquel Welch titles", I can't help but hope that one of those titles is Myra Breckinridge.

Spero D

Second Unit
It was a Great chat and Peter is a delight to have on this forum. I was dissapointed in that there will be no Poseidon Adventure:SE and hope whomever the studio whom has taken over the rights will do one. The great news is that about the Aliens re-release coming up. I am looking forward to a new Aliens:SE (James Cameron one).
Just one question for Peter and for FOX. Where is The Adventures of Ford Fairlane on DVD? I know that Peter acknowledged its cult following awhile ago in another chat. He stated that it would not be part of the 2002 slate, but that's the last we heard of it. So what are the chances of seeing this film in 2003? A Renny Harlin/Dice Clay commentary would be great too!
Thankfully Fox released this title here in R4 so I picked it up immediatly and am a happy camper so it should be out in R1 soon. If it comes out in R1 with a commentary track consider another sale here :)
Great job again Peter.
Spero D.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Peter Staddon, hope you are still luking here - would have asked you this the other night but I can never figure out how to join these chat things.
Four major oldies - what are the chances?
1. The Egyptian - 1954
2. Untamed - 1955
3. From the Terrace- 1960
4. Prince of Foxes - Tyrone Power 1949
Thanks!!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Fox's ability to finally begin to release product from the classic library is intertwined with their very proactive stance begun in the past few years toward their physical library.

Placing Schawn Belston in a position to oversee these films and Fox's move to provide the necessary funding to do actual restoration and preservation work is the basis for those titles which will be making their way to DVD.

If you like what you'll be seeing, you can point a finger at Schawn and his team.

RAH

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info on Black Hat, Mark. It always helps when we can aim our begging at the right person/studio. ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Schawn and his team!! I'll appaud anything & anyone who helps Fox get older titles out the door to the buying public. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks