What's new

Great looking Euro-sleaze from Severin (1 Viewer)

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
PLEASE NOTE: The majority of these films, and therefore the reviews, are of an adult nature and not suitable for work!

I was surprised not to find a dedicated thread on this company, probably one of the best independent cult DVD firms in the market at present, especially since Anchor Bay and Blue Underground have all but disappeared. They have been presenting some amazingly obscure films in gorgeous looking prints.

More details on their film library are available at Severin Films

I've got some reviews of their best releases including:

The Black Emanuelle Box
Black Emanuelle Box 2

Lucio Fulci's The Senator Likes Women and Seven Notes in Black.

Plus their latest title, the amazingly daft and low budget The Beast in Space.

For anyone who enjoys their films on the obscure and trashy side then I would highly recommend they take a look at this collection - a million miles from the nth generation tape dupes that still plague many cult film DVD releases, even the legitimate ones.

I've not seen all their discs so I'd be interested in some other thoughts. They have already announced this summer's titles including an all new (and apparently long sought after) Jess Franco pairing as well as a 3 disc Inglorious Bastards box!

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Going even more obscure this time, an ultra-low budget cannibal movie (to the extent that they are shooting in a forest in Spain and trying to pass it off as the jungle) which although not directed by Jess Franco, is very much along the same lines as his films from the era.

Cannibal Terror

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Wow. Severin have reached new heights (or is that depths!) with this one - a perverted Danish dwarf movie:

Sinful Dwarf

Strictly for experienced Euro-cult fans only...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My search for "sleaze" finally pays off! Good deal!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Marking for later reading.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I appreciate that someone other than myself has an interest in European trash cinema. As a collector, I pick up most of these releases not just to watch them but also because most of these films are so obscure that they are worth adding to my personal library. Admittedly, these movies are not very good-they are technically amateurish, poorly acted and don't make much sense but I love them anyway, especially compared to the rubbish that passes for entertainment today. I'm not surprised this thread hasn't gotten alot of reaction but I suspect most people on this forum are not fans of this type of film. But thank you for bringing some attention to them. I did my part and purchased copies of everything you've mentioned.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
And I thought I was the only one who went for vintage sleaze! Over the weekend I had a marathon of various Something Weird titles- I can never get enough of that stuff!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the review on DWARF, Tim. This is one I've been meaning to see for a long time now and since I cut back on my R2 buys this is good timing. It's still going to be a rental for me since it seems we're getting a lot of "lower" quality films these days. My days of spending $500 a year tracking down Franco and D'Amato films are over.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
:emoji_thumbsup:

I bought The Axe last year. I was a little disappointed since the DVD wasn't quite "up there" with The Child. But they do an excellent job putting those DVDs together. The Child was about perfect for a release of it's type. I rented it years ago and keep meaning to buy my own copy.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Despite Lucio Fulci in the director's chair and Joe D'Amato as producer, this one is certainly not sleazy. Door to Silence is Lucio Fulci's last horror film and a rather generic horror film with none of the director's trademarks. Of interest to fans of the director only.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Finally back to reviews after far too long in the real world, Severin's latest DVDs are more sexy than sleazy but should still please fans.

A French erotica two-fer Joy and Joy et Joan

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Italian exploitation director Joe D'Amato is unflinchingly difficult to predict. His films vary from hardcore sleaze to softcore drama regardless of storyline. This time we are much more in the softcore court with a surprisingly well written but still sex filled drama, starring Laura Gemser (Black Emanuelle) and Annie Belle (Laure).

Read the review - The Alcove

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Severin have recently released this great pair of Roger Corman's classic 1980s high-school raunchy comedies, Screwballs and Loose Screws. The DVD print, particularly of the first film, is not the best quality, but they are packed with extra features including deleted scenes and audio commentaries.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young

Rather less sleazy, but probably the best film I have seen for quite a while, this cyberpunk horror is a superb production from film-maker Richard Stanley (Dust Devil) who manages to turn what really should be a short film into a feature production that looks amazing.

Released as a two-disc set, with interviews and three short films on disc 2, the film has also been released on Blu-ray and my review is of the Hardware Blu-ray

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Not reviewed a Severin title in some time, their new Intervision imprint however is certainly releasing some interesting projects, including - released tomorrow - a low budget, shot-on-video German gorefest from the early 1990s - Burning Moon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks