What's new

Great Live Albums (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wowie, an After Crying reference! Never thought I'd see that one pop out. I have two studio albums only, so I might check out the live ones.
Hey, someone needs to stand up for the bands no one has heard of. :D I've seen them live twice and both times it was a wonderful experience.
I noticed I forgot to put up The Flower Kings - Alive On Planet Earth. Another special band live.
Jason

Rob-Gr

Agent
Ok, it looks like I am going to have to stir the waters a bit.

To start with, Miles Davis In Person Friday Night at The Blackhawk is great, as is Live at Carnegie Hall.

James Taylor's double live compilation album is great too.

Eric Clapton has a double album called blues which has one live album and one studio album. The live album is great.

Also, I know this is cheating a bit, but the Eric Clapton DVD Live at Hyde Park is freaking incredible.

The Allman Brothers Band live at the Fillmore is probably the best double live album ever. Every note on Statesboro Blues is incredible.

I feel that I must mention that while I like the Who, I feel that the Live at The Isle of Wight Festival 1970 is terrible. There are 2 good songs on the whole cd and the rest is crap. Maybe I just dont like the Who as much as you guys.

The Dave Matthews Band Live at Folsom Field is great too.

Has everyone forgotten the Simon and Garfunkel live at Central Park from 1980? That whole album is nothing but greatest hits. Every song on that album is classic.

Bob Dylan 66 tour "Royal Albert Hall" performance is a great historical concert.

Dont forget Derek and The Dominoes Live at The Fillmore from 1970. I dont have the official version but it is 2 cds of classic Eric Clapton. The 4 disc set I have has the complete October 23rd and 24th concerts and it is great. Nothing like 10 minute drums solos ans screaming guitar.

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble live in Austin Texas is a great DVD. Excellent sound, superb performance.

Rob

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Allow me to also chime in on Spyboy. Emmylou put a touring band together that was to die for, featuring Buddy Miller (aka, "The Memphis Edge") and an unbelievable rhythm section (wasn't it Daryl Johnson on bass?). Their cover of Daniel Lanois' The Maker is the best version of that song, period.
And Simon and Garfunkel's Central Park concert is terrific. I've always wondered if the existing release covers the entire show, and if a more definitive set should exist. "America" and "American Tune" in the same set are a revelation.
Other faves:
  • The Band: The Last Waltz. For me, live albums start and end with this set, especially the new release. And the studio version of "The Weight" with the Staples... Wow...
  • Pearl Jam: Katowice, Poland 6/16/00. The very best of the lot of the 'bootleg' series.
  • Dylan: Live 1966. Featuring a very smoking Band ("play f$%#ing loud").
  • Velvet Underground: 1969: VU Live. Grrrrrrrrrrrr baby... Very grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
    --AM

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Looks like I'll keep this going by adding...
...believe it or not...
Neil Diamond - Hot August Night (1973).
A great total live performance from beginning to end. I've loved this recording for years. I like only 3 of his studio recordings (out of, like several hundred? :D).
U2's Live Under a Blood Red Sky is pretty good.
Tangerine Dream has a bunch of live releases that are good. It seems that about half their catalog are live performances. Some of them are even with an audience - Encore, Poland, and 220Volt Live are good ones. Although, most of the live recordings were actually mixed and re-mixed pieces from several different performance dates.
I have other live releases from artists like Pat Benatar, Styx, Tom Petty, Duran Duran, and Heart. But it seems that there are only a few songs off of each of those releases that stand out.
Except for Duran Duran's Arena - none of those stand out. It's like - "where's the audience?", they've been completely mixed out of the recordings.
Joel

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
If you like NOFX, check out their live release, "I heard they suck live". Lots of talking between songs and some altered songs like "El Lay" changing to "East Bay".

Salvador

Second Unit
my favs

Nirvana : Unplugged in NY

Fleetwood Mac : The Dance

Shakira : MTV Unplugged

Eagles : HFO

Mana : MTV Unplugged

Alice in Chains : MTV Unplugged

Dave Matthews : Listener Supported

Talking Heads : Stop Making Sense

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of "Under a Blood Red Sky," we need a proper live album from U2 one of these days. Maybe a boxed set deal ala the Springsteen set.

--AM

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
PROCOL HARUM LIVE In Concert With The Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
Conquistador
A Salty Dog
Whaling Stories
All This And More
In Held 'Twas In I
Supoib!

Craig

Second Unit
JOE ELY - LIVE SHOTS - Recorded in 1980 while Ely was on a British tour of pubs and small clubs with The Clash.

MarcEM

Grip
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the biggest selling live album ever??

Peter Frampton: Frampton Comes Alive

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
I'm new here and just stumbled onto this thread.
The Who, Live at Leeds Crank up Young Man Blues or Magic Bus and get them goosbumps...
J Giles Full House Live The energy in this is unbelievable. It's like a 45 minute workout with a heartrate of 180..
One not mentioned yet. Carlos Santana with Buddy Miles Live There's the Miles version of Marbles with John MacLaughlin..then there's the Miles with Santana..unbelievable.
Any Floyd Live work
And many more, already mentioned.
If you can find it..one more but it's a radio show. Sheryl Crow, The Trinity Church Sessions Oh man...I get goosebumps when I listen to it. Some of the songs you can find on her Globe Sessions..

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I noticed that this thread was started last spring. I will assume that this very classic album has NOT been mentioned:
UFO: Strangers in the Night

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
two brand new live albums that are getting played alot at my place...
Ednita Nazario - Acustico
Bill Hicks - Flying Saucer Tour Vol.1
... and some of my all time favorites...
Tori Amos - To Venus and Back
Elvis Presley - Madison Square Garden (early show)
& - That's the Way It Is
Pearl Jam - #20 Milan, Italy
Phish - Live Phish #4 Drum Logos, Japan
Grateful Dead - any show of the Jan-May tour of 1978...
particularly 1/22/78, 1/31/78, 4/10/78, 5/10/78

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks