What's new

Great Kiss Me Kate news! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Joseph

Agent
As many of you know, we're running "Kiss Me Kate" in dual projector Polaroid 3-D (and stereophonic sound!) on Saturday, September 13th, at 7:00 PM, as part of the amazing World 3-D Film Expo in Hollywood.

But: We just found out... Warners has found the so called "missing" footage... the effects shots that were only made to be in the 3-D version of the film... and they have printed them up... and we're going to run the print..complete! This is the first time this footage has been printed in over 50 years!

Also, Kathyrn Grayson, Tommy Rall, William Tuttle, and a few others will be attending the screening IN PERSON!

Kate and several other shows are close to selling out, but tickets ARE still available at:

http://www.3dfilmfest.com

Thanks,

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Producitions

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Incredible news! I can't wait to see this one in the original format.

I never thought that lost stuff would surface, and to be able to see it on the big 3-D screen? Amazing.

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll echo Steve's statement. This IS incredible news, given almost all of the prints were edited right after the initial 1st run of the film back in 1954! These clips have not been viewed in 3-D by anyone in almost fifty years!

Congratulations Jeff. You repeatedly continue to obtain great little extras for the World 3-D Expo. Many would have set up the list of films and said "game over" and left it at that, but not you. This is what showmanship is all about! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveP

Second Unit
Sorry to miss the 3-D Festival in L.A. next month--saw KISS ME KATE in 3-D (and stereo) just a few weeks ago at the Film Forum in Manhattan--(took a friend who'd NEVER seen it in 3-D before--she LOVED it!).

Wish there was a chance for the 3-D Fest to come to New York City! I'm sure it would draw quite a crowd!

Jeff Joseph

Agent
No, Greg, it was like this:

All of the original 35mm dye transfer prints had these scenes cut into them for 3-D release.

The prints were at some point split up and the scenes were therefore also in the 2-D "release".

Until 10 years or so ago, MGM/Turner HAD a dye transfer print available... in 3-D. This print ran in NYC and Los Angeles, among other cities. Many people saw the film "complete" this way.

The scenes were never "cut out" of the prints.

A few years ago, the first new print in 45 years or so was printed... but by then the knowledge of the "extra" scenes that were supposed to be cut in had been lost. In fact, the cutting continuity makes no mention of these scenes.

So the DVD is from these new "2-D" elements, which is why the scenes are missing from this as well.

But at no time was anything "cut" from the movie. Rather, the "extra" scenes were simply not printed and added to the new print (and DVD) a few years ago.

Jeff

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My dad and I will be in LA for the fest. I'm going to purchase tickets ASAP. Jeff, save at least 2 but no more than 4 seats (my grandparents might want to go, and we haven't bought tickets yet because we want to know which shows they want to attend).

GregK

Screenwriter
Thanks for clarifying this issue Jeff. When the various flat versions were missing those couple of 3-D snippets, along with the newer 3-D print, I had ASSumed they were edited out. :b ..Is this the only 3-D film (barring changing opening credits) where extra 3-D sequences were added to a film only for it's 3-D release?

Jeff Joseph

Agent
To the best of my knowledge, this was the only time.

There were exactly 50 features shot in English in the "Golden Age" of 3-D, starting with "Bwana Devil" and ending with "Revenge of the Creature".

In putting this Expo together, I've learned this: Each feature and each short has it's own story... how it was shot, edited, printed, preserved and/or restored (or not) and so on... But "Kiss Me Kate" is the only film this happened to.

And as I said, Warners/MGM has no paperwork extant on this "extra footage".

Jeff

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I was holding off getting my tickets til my next pay check, but I guess I'll get them now.

But JESUS, good night, what the heck am I being charged five dollars shipping and handling for when all I'm buying is a TICKET!!! Considering I'm paying that much I'll go ahead and splurge on the 3$ glasses.

I only wish there were a cheaper alternative for people with glasses, my girlfriend is very bone headed (it's that Japanese Irish blood) and will probably refuse to put the cardboard ones in front of the others or something. hmm we may have to end up sitting in the first or second row.

Adam

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Actually there is continuity on the additioonal footage based upon the need for post-production cutting. There were multiple continuities on this title with an insert page. The studio does have this information, but more on this later today at which time i will have been given permission to relay information regarding the release of a corrected KMK DVD.

In that regard, I would suggest that HTFers simply wait for that announcement rather than asking questions, as all of those questions will be answered at that time.

RAH

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

Way to "say it" without actually doing so! Thanks RAH, This is the big news of the day.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Jeff, it's going to be a treat to see this rare footage on the big screen again. Congratulations on all your excellent work with the 3-D Expo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks