Great Hong Kong thriller INTRUDER now available

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Brian Thibodeau, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

Don't know much about the specs for this title, but if you're a fan of the darker Johnnie To productions (THE MISSION, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED, LONGEST NITE, PTU), they just don't get any darker than this phenomenally bleak 1997 handover-paramoia freakout flick.

Here's a link to the R2 DVD available at Poker (I posted this here because this forum seems to have more readers: feel free to move it elsewhere). There may be places offering it cheaper, but this has some decent information.

http://www.pokerindustries.com/poker...u=INTRUDER-DVD

As far as I know, this title has never been released on DVD in Hong Kong, but can be found on a HK VCD (which might be edited).

Wu Chien-lien is absolutely spine-chilling as a morally blank illegal Chinese immigrant who kidnaps a random Hong Kong cabbie (Wayne Lai yiu-cheung) and his family and ritualistically begins to dismantle their existence, through all kinds of torture and unpleasantness, in preparation for the arrival of her husband (Moses Chan Ho). Allegory about the 1997 handover of Hong Kong to China has probably never been this heavy-handed, and the filmmakers make little secret of their contempt for and mistrust of the mainlanders who had yet to take over their colony, comparing them, via the characters of Wu and Chan, to a slow-acting, inescapable plague.

This disc looks to be of German origin, in Cantonese with English subs and a small smattering of extras.

For my money, this is one of the most frightening, nihilistic and most telling psychological thrillers to come out of Hong Kong cinema, if not world cinema. Definitely of a place and time that no longer exists, but still packing quite a punch.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    It's an R2 DVD, so I moved it to the Regional forum. Or else it might have led to some confusion.

Cees

3. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

Sorry about that. Thought it might be confusing.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    No need to apologize, Brian. [​IMG]

Cees