What's new

Directors Great Guys: The Draft (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Vickie,

Good pick.

May I suggest you reconsider your point of view on "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" as well as the rest of the So album if necessary.

While I can see your point, I don't think either of these were necessarily designed to be radio hits. All of the innovative musical stylings that people had come to expect from Gabriel were (and are) still there in spades on So.

I think much of the reaction to that album and those songs was chance. I also think the fact that Genesis got really big with the release of Invisible Touch (an album I wouldn't be defending) at virtually the exact same time probably also served to bring Gabriel more to the attention of the masses.

With "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time," Gabriel should also be given props for trying to bring some innovation to a medium that, as far as I'm concerned, with only rare exception, has been rather lackluster since its inception....the music video.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
May I suggest you reconsider your point of view on "Sledgehammer" and "Big Time" as well as the rest of the So album if necessary.
Rain, believe me, I love "So" - some of my favorite Peter Gabriel songs are on it, and of course, one of the Greatest Songs Ever Written ("Don't Give Up" with my beloved Kate helping out on vocals). I don't hate those songs, it's just one of those eye-rolling fan things, in that I think those songs gave the world a misleading impression as to who and what Peter Gabriel was about. He counteracted them with "Shock the Monkey," "In Your Eyes" and "Digging In The Dirt," but still, I (perhaps irrationally) blame those songs for lowering the overall quality of his fans. I've been a fan since 1973, and had seen him several times in concert (including twice with Genesis) and until "Sledgehammer," you could hear a pin drop in the venues during the quiet moments of songs. After Sledgehammer, the loud, talky, rude morons invaded (because seeing Peter Gabriel was the trendy thing to do, to see and be seen, forget the music) and I had to give up seeing him live. So I hold a grudge. :D

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you said.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
So, here we are. Vote? or No Vote? You Vote.

I have an allergic reaction to the very thought of voting on Draft picks, because they're so personal. Voting against someone's whole list is much more a slap in the face than voting against someone's favorite movie. It's like pissing on a person's parade, and how gleeful some people act about it too! It's a little bit cringe-inducing to me to see all the thumbs down icons used. Not so much with movies (well, it does, but I can deal) but when human beings are involved I just have problems with it.

I did not say at the beginning of this that we would not have a vote, so I don't feel right about slapping that rule on now. You decide. Vote, majority wins.

If we do have a vote on the lists, all I ask is that no one use the thumbs down icon, and, god I feel like a schoolmarm, be polite toward other's choices. Snarky, ok. Rude, not ok.

I have to leave and I'll be gone for several hours. I'll check back in later.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm with you, Vickie..
NO VOTE, for all reasons you meantioned.

Plus that as of Sunday,
i will be without a computer
for two and a half weeks.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No vote. I was just in this for funsies, and since I didn't go for 'hotties' I'm sure I wouldn't survive the first round anyway. I share some of Vickie's feelings about these sort of lists. ( Plus, I'll probably be getting my ass whipped in a draft tomorrow. :) )

- Walter.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't have a problem with not voting - after getting my ass kicked in just about every draft I've participated in, I'm getting a bit disenchanted with it. Not that I'm a sore loser, but once you've taken the time to compile a list and followed a draft for weeks, it stinks to see your list voted down in a day. For instance: it irritated me to lose out out in the first round of the first movie draft because I knew damn well that some of the people who voted against me were unfamiliar with most of my picks (but that didn't matter as my opponent had some fanboy faves that they were determined to vote for no matter what). Things like that make the voting process unfair and unsavory.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Although I still think we ought to vote (what the hell, right?), I can't disagree with a lot of the sentiment expressed about not voting.

My only argument for voting is that, otherwise, the draft was a meaningless waste of time.

Oh, wait, all of these drafts are meaningless wastes of time. Cool!

And this: it never ceases to amaze, the newfangled approaches we take toward expressing elitism, snobbery and most of all, hypocrisy, on HTF. Sorry, Vickie, nothing personal, but you have got to be kidding, right? "Loud, talky, rude morons"--please. And you're worried about voting on human beings in one of these drafts. Pu-lease...

CraigL

Screenwriter
Rain,

I never really found Ryan attractive but in that picture...

*growl* :)

I remember watching him as the first gay teen on daytime soaps.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Well, I still agree with Vickie.

I can quit now before it all gets personal.:D
Ah, i know "dont take it that way".
Well, thats not always easy.
Just being honest.

JenB

Screenwriter
I would like to vote since I find it kinda fun. But, it is ok if we do not vote too. I am flexible.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Vickie, nothing personal, but you have got to be kidding, right? "Loud, talky, rude morons"--please. And you're worried about voting on human beings in one of these drafts. Pu-lease...
Well, if you feel kindly towards people who ruin other people's concert/play/movie-going experiences by talking amongst each other and/or talking on cell phones, that's fine, but I won't be considerate of them at the expense of the other audience members and, in the case of a concert or play, the human beings up on stage. If that's rude of *me*, I plead guilty.

Ok, no vote. The fun for me too was in seeing other people's picks, not in finding a final "winner."

Thank you everyone for participating.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
This always happens...
i just thought of two other guys :laugh:

You know that hot handyman from TRADING
SPACES?

TY? is that his name...uh...well THAT GUY.

And that guy who was
in Spiderman and that TNT James Dean flick...
JAMES FRANCO.

Cheers all, it was cool uh..hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks