Great funny essay books I've read

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin D, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

I've read some great essay collections lately, and I just wanted to share with the members of the HTF the pearls of my experience (Boy, don't I feel literary?)

1. Take the Cannoli: Stories from the New World, by Sarah Vowell: Sarah Vowell writes about American heritage, and what it means to grow up in the USA. From talking about her Republican vs. Democrat struggle against her father, to traveling the Trail of Tears reclaiming part of her Native American heritage, to recounting her trip to Disney World, this book meant a lot to me. By the end, I was thinking of her as Sarah, and felt like sending her a Christmas card.

2. Naked, by David Sedaris: Quite the name in humor, Sedaris tells many fascinating stories of his life. It's a lot of fun when his family is involved, especially his sister Amy. FYI, she was Jerri Blank on "Strangers with Candy." Recounting his time working in an apple factory, sorting the "fancy" from the "extra fancy," this book is constantly interesting and well-written.

3. Trials of My Queer Life, by Michael Thomas Ford: Ok, this is more of a series. Trials... consists of "Alec Baldwin Doesn't Love Me," "That's Mr. Faggot to You," "It's Not Mean If It's True," and "The Men's Book of Neuroses." Obviously, he's best known in the gay community. While his writing often deals with his experiences being a member of the GLBT scene, his writing has meaning for all. And he's just plain hysterical.

Well, those are some of my favorites. If you're like me, and like reading short stories and essays over the summer to limit brain strain, these could be for you. Vowell's can be slightly difficult to find, but is really worth it. The rest shouldn't be difficult, especially Sedaris's work.

Have a great summer
    Dustin

2. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

David Sedaris might be the funniest writer in America right now. I just knew that I would see his name when I opened this thread.

3. Dustin D

Dustin D Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, Sedaris is really funny. I think Michael Thomas Ford has definitely reached his level, though. I prefer some of his stories to Sedaris's, myself. But both are great.

Dustin

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Has anyone read any of Woody Allen's books (Without Feathers, Getting Even, Side Effects)?

They're so funny I snort when I read them.

Jon