What's new

Directors GREAT Films you hate - The Draft (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Three Colors: Blue

:p)

Dome, I know you had problems understanding parts of Blue (and it is admittedly the most obtuse of the trilogy), but the commentary and other supplements on the DVD do explain the more abstract details of the film. I also think it helps if you make an emotional connection with the movie as I did. With that one, you're on your own. :)

Looking forward to your thoughts on White and Red.

Dead Poets Society

I don't hate this movie, but it is awfully derivative and predictable. I have no desire to ever see it again. For a similar experience, try watching Sweet Home Alabama. :thumbsdown:

Do the Right Thing & Titanic

George, you constantly amaze me. Oh well, to each his own. :)

Star Wars & The Bride of Frankenstein

Hey, Star Wars fanboys annoy me too, but the film itself is a lot of fun. Hardly "bad." What's to hate about The Bride of Frankenstein? :confused: No gore? Not scary? My only problem with it is that it ends too abruptly...

Amelie & The Thin Red Line

I thought Amelie was a sweet-natured film and Audrey was quite engaging, but I can easily see why one wouldn't like it. FWIW, I do like Jeunet's style. I found The Thin Red Line to be an intoxicating experience - a bit ponderous perhaps, but quite a film. Again, I can see why one wouldn't like it. Definitely a love it or leave it kind of film.

Fight Club

Amen.

The Godfather

Pretty good movie, but not a favorite. Hard to understand why anyone would actually hate it...

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm stuck in Lexington for the moment, so I can't write out my full-fledged reason why I hate Blue and honestly love the other two. But here's the short, short as it stands right now.

Blue
Movie Score: D+
FIm Score: C
Overall with Reviewer's Tilt: D+

White
Movie Score: A-
Film Score: A-
Overall with Reviewer's Tilt: A-

Red
Movie Score: A-
Film Score: A
Overall with Reviewer's Tilt: A-

In short, I hate Blue because
A. Julie strikes me as stupid
B. With the film practically ending in the same place it started, it was boring in between
C. It struck me as annoyling pretentious

Hunter P

Screenwriter
The Thin Red Line

Thank you. That would have been one of my top 3 choices if I was able to participate. Watch it if you have insomnia.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I'll go with another 'classic' from the 'genius' Kubrick...
Dr. Strangelove The antithesis of funny, in my opinion, though I don't hate it as much as Clockwork Orange...hate even might be a little strong.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Robert Wise's The Haunting

- I've already started a thread ages ago on why I hate this film, but to give the short reason: Eleanor is one of the most annoying people in cinematic history I've ever had the displeasure of seeing on the screen. She probably pisses me off worse than Julie in Blue.

I was rooting for her to die, and I got my wish.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

I don't remember most of the film (I was probably asleep through most of it). I found the story to be weak and not compelling.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

No I watch all foreign films dubbed (Kause i kant reed two faast) & I zoomed the picture so I wouldn't have those annoying black bars.

Tell me what you found so profound in this fluff piece about a dimwitted French tart? :p) :D

Brian's up

On deck

George
Erik
Justin x 2

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Nothing too profound but certainly not entirely lacking in substance. It addresses themes of loneliness and isolation in a particularly touching manner.

What, do you expect every movie to be a philosophical heavyweight or something?

It's really amazing to me what people will find hate-worthy. And I thought I was a cranky bastard.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sunset Blvd.

God! How I hated this fucking movie, The whole thing just felt like nails dragging down a chalkboard. Insult to injury, I gave this one a second chance just a few nights ago. And I hated it even more the second time. I found every character in this film to be highly irritating. Not to mention that it fuckin drags on longer than The Hundred Years' War :thumbsdown:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
A bit of a suggestion for those with thin skins.

If this thread offends you - then don't freakin' open it! :D

So far 6 of my favorite films have been mentioned :frowning: but I'll save my comments for when the voting starts.

George is up

On deck

Erik
Justin x 2

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You know there's nothing wrong with something that is very deep and has no entertainment value whatsoever. I have lots of high level math books that delve into very complex topics and are not fun reading.

But if a film is going to have no entertainment value, and rely solely on being profound, it better actually have something profound to say.

And it doesn't matter if the film is marvelouslly acted (like this one) or superbly photographed (like this one). I know there are people who find something profound in this film. But I don't.

And as to the term hate, I'm using for the rest of my picks mostly in the sense of being irritated like hell when the film was over. And I'm sure some will say because I'm too stupid or unwilling to take the time to delve into the profound depths of the film that have 'insights into the human condition'. Well, for me the Emperor has no clothes, he's standing there naked with nothing to say. Or as John Lennon once said, "avant-garde is French for bullshit". :)

So, without further ado, I present

Cries & Whispers

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
2001: A Space Odyssey--nothing happens on screen, and nothing more happens on screen, and then nothing more happens, and then HAL goes nuts and then there's a really bad disco light show and finally, the movie is over. Makes me sleepy just thinking about it. :)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN- Okay, I don't like musicals. I never have, and probably never will. I saw this one day at school and just couldn't stand it, but that's just how I feel about musicals.

MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL- One of the most pathetically unfunny films I've ever seen. I cannot see what people find so hilarious about this film, as I can honestly say I didn't laugh once, and I found the whole thing to be a boring mess.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Dogma--Everyone I know loved (and I mean LOVED) this movie. I couldn't stand it. If I wanted to be preached at and lectured at for 2 hours, I'd either go to church or to a philosophy lecture. The worst in Kevin Smith's Jersey series by far!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks