What's new

Directors GREAT Films you hate - The Draft (1 Viewer)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
ErikG you're up! :D

On deck

Justin_S x 2
ErikG

Gabe D & Chris_Richard

It doesn't look like we'll get enough people to complete a wild-card field.

Not enough free-thinkers on HTF. :laugh: j/k

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
If nothing else this draft will prove, once and for all, which HTF-er smokes the most crack. Erik and Justin are off to flying starts.

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
Jan, does this mean I won't be getting your support when it comes time to vote on the lists? :D

And, for what it's worth, I don't hate any of the movies I'll be listing. I simply feel they're ridiculously overrated, and I'm not afraid to say so. That's the whole idea of this thread, right? :)

My next choice is Fight Club.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
All "overrated" means is "I don't like it as much as I perceive the popular opinion to be". The thread says HATE.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Sorry, No more room this time.

Perhaps someone else will do another draft after this is over. :D

Don't count on it though. ;)

George Kaplan you're up. :)

On deck

Brian Lawrence
Bill J
Dome Vongvises

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I guess if the word overrated was there in place of "hate" this tourney would be a little easier to take. In any case, if the participants wouldn't mind explaining their rationale instead of merely listing movies, it would be interesting to read. For example, I'd like to hear why you, Erik, find the GF overrated. Also, what is Justin's beef with Bride of Frankenstein?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'm not going to go into too much detail, because it's been laid out in gory detail in another thread, but

Do the Right Thing

is a film I hate because I find it to be racist (and I am fully aware that some people do not share that opinion), and there are few things I hate more than racism, hence I hate (and hate is the appropriate word) Do the Right Thing.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Finally got an internet connection here. :)

Three Colors: Blue

- What's odd is that I finally got around to watching White last night and enjoyed it immensely. I'll have Red finished by tonight, and I should have two reviews up in the Expanding Horizons Thread.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Dome,

Ya skipped Bill J. :D

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Paging Bill J!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
No big deal, I would never have picked that film anyway.

Anyway, I'll take Taxi Driver.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Come on, fellas, give us some reasons! If ever friendly debate was in order, it is now. How can Dome enjoy White immensely (as I do) but hate: loathe, despise Blue?

BTW, George's views on Do the Right Thing have been well and articulately documented. And though I think he is wrong, at least he had the huevos to explain himself. These are some great movies you're trashing, folks, and while you don't owe me a thing, it might make for some interesting discussions if you would just take some time to make a pithy observation or two about your choices.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I agree. You don't have to write a full out review but a brief description of what rubbed you the wrong way isn't too much to ask for.

This is supposed to be a therapeutic exercise. Let it all out. :D

LukeB you're up! :)

On deck

Me x2
Luke
Bill

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So many choices...I'll go with A Clockwork Orange. Hate isn't too strong on that one.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
OK

Putting on my flack jacket. :D

My 2 picks are:

Amelie - Currently #18 on IMDB top 250 all-time :rolleyes:& the critically acclaimed Foreign Language darling of last year.

All style & no substance. Perhaps my expectations were too high (based on the heaps of praise it was getting everywhere). Then again maybe the style of Jeunet (A cross between Sergio Leone on crystal meth & Sam Raimi in his Evil Dead years) doesn't sit well with me. After seeing a few other Jeunet films I'm thinking its the later. A truly aggravating viewing experience for me. :thumbsdown:

The Thin Red Line - Shave off an hour of running time & get rid of that constant droning monotone pseudo-philosophical voice-over & it'd turn into a halfway decent film IMO.

Luke - back to you

On deck

Dome
Bill
Brian

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
My eyes roll every time I open this thread. Amelie, no substance? Did you forget to turn on the subtitles?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks