What's new

Great Films That You Only Want to See Once (1 Viewer)

FilmCrazy

Agent
Real Name
Rich
There are many films considered great- or even called masterpieces that I am glad to have seen but do not wish to see again- 1917 and Joker are two recent ones that come to mind.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've thought this many times, but I always ended up watching them again, usually multiple times through the years.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If it's a great film, I'll stomach it more than once to appreciate its artistry.
Case in point: I've seen Schindler's List twice on the big screen. Come and See twice as well (once in the theater). And there are many more.
So call me a masochist if you will. Or an unrepentant seeker of redemptive beauty even in the depths of depravity and despair. Maybe that's why Humanity survives.
I used to visit MoMA on multiple occasions to view Picasso's Guernica (when it was housed there), and that is a shocking and traumatic work of art as well, reminding us of man's inhumanity towards other human beings.
Which is why the 2 films I mentioned, even if you see them only once, should be required viewing.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Some Like It Hot and The Apartment. I am a big fan of Billy Wilder and I like a lot of his films but those two did not appeal to me even thought they were well made and like the actors involved. I guess it was the subject matter or something. The English Patient is another one.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For me, it was Platoon.

It was about 25 years before I felt I could watch it again. It was just as draining as the first time.

Now, there are several 'great' films that I don't agree with that characterization, and regret having seen them even once.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My vote is also for the “Exorcist”. By the time I saw it, I had heard so much talk about how horrifying it was that nothing could ever live up to it. It fell completely flat for me. I did find “Exorcist 2” hilarious though. On the showing I attended, several people heckled from the audience.

My other movie in this never watch again category is “Forest Gump”. I like Tom Hanks usually, but found his characterization a total bore and by the end knew where to stick the box of chocolates!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
My vote is also for the “Exorcist”. By the time I saw it, I had heard so much talk about how horrifying it was that nothing could ever live up to it. It fell completely flat for me. I did find “Exorcist 2” hilarious though. On the showing I attended, several people heckled from the audience.

My other movie in this never watch again category is “Forest Gump”. I like Tom Hanks usually, but found his characterization a total bore and by the end knew where to stick the box of chocolates!

Agree with you re the EXORCIST- It also failed for me, to live up to the hype. I was bored with it.Same for FOREST GUMP- a giant yawn f of a film.,

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I never tire of re watching films that I regard as masterpieces.. I have a massive library-over 1000 discs -and have seen them all many times.Also working in cinemas in the fifties and sixties I managed to see films from around the world many times.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
I judge this as a film I've bought as a blind buy on recommendation, then quickly sell on as one that I just couldn't see myself watching again:

'Midnight special' - sold as a great SF piece, but I found it derivative with no re-watch potential
'Under the skin' - great novel, unsettling film, but one I only needed to see once.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Requiem For A Dream is on my short list. I admired the film, but it’s just too depressing to
ever watch again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Requiem For A Dream is on my short list. I admired the film, but it’s just too depressing to
ever watch again.
Yup, a great film, but I have no desire ever to see it again. I and a few other HTF members went to see this movie during our 2000 HTF Meet out in LA. We all had the same reaction. Hell, there is a rumor that this movie is coming out on 4K disc. No way I want to see those film sequences in 4K HD Ultra.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think some of you are missing the point of this thread.

The OP I believe is asking what films you love that you have no desire to see again.
I think you're right, but perhaps they're conceding that "The Exorcist" was a great film.;) Though, I doubt that's the case.:laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks