What's new

Great DVD's from a filmmaker's P.O.V.? (1 Viewer)

Christian H

Auditioning
Hello all,
I was wondering what DVD's have nice audio commentaries / disc features for an aspiring/newbie filmmaker - i.e. what DVD's do you think are educational in the art of filmmaking, or just downright interesting? Thanks in advance. :)
PS. Yeah, I know it's not the way to learn, but I'm interested in anything related to my hobby. ;)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Yeah, I know it's not the way to learn
Actually, watching movies and making movies IS in fact the best way to learn. Also reading proves an astonishing aid in educating one's self as books so frequently do.
To tackle your question with just a sample of offerings, Se7en Platinum Edition and the 2 disc edition of Fight Club are both wonderful commentary and supplements wise.
The El Mariachi/Desperado double feature disc is much loved amongst wannabe filmmakers due to Rodriguez's informative "how to do it for 7 grand" commentary track. His book (Rebel without a Crew) is better, but the Mariachi commentary is well worth a listen, even if you don't think much of the movie.
Whilst the movie is abysmal cack, and even if blockbusters are not really the kind of films you have a vast interest in making, Pearl Harbour: Vista Series is choc full of informative commentaries and supplements. Thankfully those on the three commentaries are pretty much honest and truthful about what they felt worked and what they felt failed. Had the whole set avoided discussing the feedback the film got, it would have made for a lesser disc. It really makes for a good insight into the making of such a huge film that had a lot expected of it yet failed to do what its makers had originaly hoped.
Almost any Criterion edition DVD will serve up some of the most informative and in depth commentaries and supplements you will ever find. Many film historians contribute to tracks on criterion discs which serves as a great way to further your knowledge of film history. The commentaries on a lot of Universal's Hitchcock Collection DVDs are also very good.
Citizen Kane and Dark City play host to two wonderful commentary tracks from Roger Ebert. Definately worth checking out too.
That should get you started.
Dan

I think's it hard to lose with Steven Soderbergh commentaries. 2 I would recommend in particular are the one on the Limey (great discussion with the film's writer about how writing and directing are 2 different jobs that often work against each other) and his discussion with Mike Nichols on Catch-22. The latter one may not have a lot of nuts and bolt info for an aspiring filmmaker but it does touch a lot on the art of making films. Both are well worth your time.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
both Terminator movies, the Abyss and Tron imo are outstanding movies and a wealth of special features that makes it worth owning these discs
:D

Christian H

Auditioning
Yeah, I have T2: Ultimate Edition, and it's simply awesome. I like it a lot.

I'll have to find some Soderberg DVD's too then! Thanks for the suggestion.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
American Movie
At first, you might scratch your head and say "What could I possibly learn from Mark Borchardt?" By the end, you'll admire his tenacity.
Plus, you'll also learn the correct pronunciation of the word 'coven.'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks