Great Dell deal! (?)

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DaveF, Jun 5, 2005.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Through June 9, Dell is offering a $500 rebate (at least on high-end) Dimensions, free shipping ($99 savings), and $300 coupon for computers more than $2000.

So, an $800 discount on a new computer. Is this normal pricing now, or is it a particularly good deal?

Dave's Law is, the best time to buy a computer is always tomorrow. And I really shouldn't buy a new PC right now (though my PIII 450 MHz is long in the tooth), but this seems like a really great deal.

What do you think?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    this is also CJ's law, word for word [​IMG] dell has been giving some great deals lately, such as the one you mentioned. i'm not sure about how often dell does this, but they sometimes have $750 off a laptop over $1500 or something like that. a great deal, but dell seems to be doing this more and more. take advantage of one of these offers if you need a new pc, but i doubt you will have trouble finding another dell deal like this, with a little patience.

CJ

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Great minds, and all that [​IMG]

Thanks for the confirmation. As much fun as it would be to buy a new PC, the $2200 is needed for boring furniture and landscaping.
    It's said that the margins in PC sales are very narrow. So how does Dell survive with $800 discounts? By volume? [​IMG] That's about 33% off, suggesting >40% margins on mid- to high-end PCs. That's not narrow by any definition!

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

For money making support is a big one in the computer industry, kinda similar to replacement parts in the auto industry. It's the little things on the side that have a 200-300% markup that you don't think about is where most of the money is made.