What's new

Great deal on the Toshiba 27AF42 (2 Viewers)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
What does it mean when it is said that this TV lacks "anamorphic" mode?

You can still display a widescreen DVD format on it, can't you? Just with bars on top and bottom?

My guess is anamorphic does some sort of conversion to the video signal, but I'm not sure.

I looked for the FAQ for the answer but can't find it.

This TV looks like a great deal for low $$$$!
Thanks,
Guy

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Guy,

This TV does not automatically perform the necessary adjustments needed to view an 'enhanced for widescreen' DVD with full resolution. When this is engaged in other sets, the Service Menu (not User) settings are changed to reflect all the needed changes in various vertical height and geometry corrections for full resolution 16:9. This means 2 things: no TV lines of resolution are wasted on black bars and the anamorphic result of a taller skinny picture is reduced to proper proportions. I have done the vertical squeeze on this and other 27" sets and have found it marginally better at this size. For me it barely seems worth the trouble. Other people swear by it.

A lot also depends on the quality and capabilities of your DVD player as well.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
One apparent down(?) note:

This set requires very little Sharpness input. Anything over 15 on my set induces Moire with NTSC. As 3 of the factory presets including Movie Mode use high levels of Sharpness, I have taken to STRICTLY using the Medium Memory Setting (Movie Mode, no VSM with sharply reduced values--Contrast 35, Brightness 48, Sharpness 0->10) for analog cable. Have encountered no problems with higher resolution sources although the 6.75MHz circle on AVIA will not fully resolve without further Geometry fiddling which causes other problems.

Oh well, that last bit is a slight disappointment but still a kick *ss set.

chris beck

Auditioning
Has anyone figured out if the black level expander can be defeated (movie mode doesn't seem to alter this.) And how do you lessen uneven brightness (brighter in the center than at the edges)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks