What's new

Great deal on the Toshiba 27AF42 (1 Viewer)

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the Toshiba link. It at least gives me the nitty gritty details on the tv. For the price, I think this is one I may purchase, but it appears to be gone from Best Buy's website. They did, still, have the rebate form on their website, and the rebate is valid throught 2/28/03. I will swing by my local Best Buy tommorrow and see if they have any in stock. Thanks again for the link David!

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Patrick.

The Toshiba site isn't the easiest to navigate and find a particular item. They have a lot of things on there that are in an ackward place and some stuff that is in the wrong place. Don't hesitate with this set Patrick. It isn't perfect, but has the least amount of big flaws of any analog set IMO. One of it's best characteristics is it's accurate color, especially important is accurate reds. I had the Sony Wega 27" for about a week in my house and couldn't stand the inaccurate colors. The Toshiba is worth full retail.

If you get it be sure to do all your calibration after selecting Movie mode in the menu. This disables SVM.

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I am definately looking at this set today, if i can find one and best buy. Combined with the rebate, this set really fits into our budget, and it would fit our needs for a secondary bedroom tv. Even without the rebate, it is still less than some other flat tube tv's I have seen (Sony had a couple of models at about 500 and 550 dollars.)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
When I noticed the original post of this thread I looked at the BB site and didn't see the set listed. My local BB doesn't have it on display anymore either.

I've been looking at sets for quite a while and I seem to recall that the Toshiba had a problem with vertical line geometry. When the scene panned and a line that was vertical in the center of the screen moved to one side or the other, it would bow quite a bit. The top and bottom would curve toward the corners, it seemed to do it more as the lined neared the screen edge. Anybody with this set notice the same thing?

The set is still on display at Sears, but no idea if you can still order it. Sounds like BB was clearing the way for a new model from Toshiba.

BrianGC

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Brian,

My new one didn't have this issue either before or after tweaking. One thing it does suffer from which cannot be corrected completely in the service menu is the very slight bowing of the letterbox bars...highest point in the middle.
This promotes a kind of pincushioning at the outer edges but it is extremely slight.

Sorry to hear that the supply is being exhausted so fast.:frowning:

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I just improved my picture probably 20% by experimenting with the service menu. I decided to try and improve it further than I already had. With a little change here and there I got it nearly square. The problem is that each input shows the geometry a little different....

AlexM.

Grip
Well I am looking for an affordable 27" flat screen and this deal seemed perfect. The problem is that theres no way to order it online. My local best buy has it in stock for $450, but the online rebate of $100 is only valid if you buy it online through BestBuy.com. So if anyone bought it in-store, and sent in the rebate with proof of purchase, they will not send you the 100$ rebate. Does anyone who bought it online know when it was last on there, or have a old link showing it online? I called BestBuy.com and complained that the rebate just started the 12th and ends in late February, and theres no way to take advantage of the rebate they have listed. Since they cant meet the demand they should allow me to get it in-store and still receive the rebate, but I'm sure they won't do that. :frowning:

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Alex and Colin,

The last day I know for certain it was online at BB was Friday the 24th, my delivery date. I checked the site one last time to make sure there hadn't been yet another price reduction.

As you might expect, a $100 rebate + free shipping most likely prompted a severe demand but I would also highly suspect that resupply may well be in order due to the rebate dating.

Good Luck.

MikeLS

Auditioning
Here's the direct link to the product on the bestbuy.com site:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=27

Unforunately it does list it as not in stock.

Not available for delivery at this time. Not available for store pickup.
And as was mentioned, the rebate is no good in store. I called their customer service, but they told me that they don't get told when they are supposed to get items back in stock. She also wasn't able to tell me when the free shipping will be good until. The best should could say was to keep an eye on the website and wait for it to show up as in stock again.

AlexM.

Grip
Yeah I thought also maybe they'd put it back up on there but then again they may not before the rebate ends.In the mean time I have a 27" flat Sharp I bought as an open box for $350 after tax.I got it home and guess what, the video input 1 does not work. So I'll hold on to it a little longer before I take it back, hoping the Bestbuy.com gets there supply in.I have 30 days I believe to take it back and get my full refund back.

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the direct link. I don't know why it is not available for store pick-up, the best buy I was in today had 3 of them in stock, but since they could not gurantee the rebate, I did not purchase. Hopefully this will be back in stock soon. The rebate is good through 2/28, so I think for the mean time I will wait it out, since I have not found anything similiar for the same price, counting rebate.

MikeLS

Auditioning
Update: There is hope! They changed the status on the product page (in my previous post above). It is now listed as not in stock but IS lited as "Limited store pickup availability". I called the rebate center and they assured me the rebate would still apply, and you would need to include the receipt from online (which you can print out from your Order History on the My Account part of the bestbuy.com site).

Hope everyone who wanted to is able to get in on this!

Mike

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! I had been checking, but misread the website earlier. I have placed my order and it went through, just waiting for the confirmation email! Thanks for the tips, links and help everybody! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
I just got my confirmation email from Best Buy, so I am going to go pick it up right now! :D I printed all my online reciepts and stuff, and am going to mail them on Monday. Now DVD's will rock in the bedroom!!! I am so excited. Thanks again everybody :emoji_thumbsup: :D :b
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have now returned from my instore pick-up. Went of without a hitch. The reciept they gave me at the store clearly says Best Buy.com on it, so I should have no trouble with the rebate. I cant wait to see how it looks!:D

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hooray! Patience prevails. You will love this set. Again, to avoid both the SVM and the ridiculous levels of Contrast and Sharpness in the other two presets just use the Movie mode. And you can adjust the Memory preset to mimic the Movie mode but with different picture and temp settings (Movie preset = warm) and still avoid the SVM.

Good Luck to all.

AlexM.

Grip
I also noticed that in-store pick-up was available on Friday and have got my e-mail to pick it up.Who purchased the BestBuy 4-year plan, and if not why? Also Paul you suggest using the Movie mode for watching cable and PS2 and just changing the temp. settings? Thanks for all your guys help.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Alex,

Yes, I do. The Movie Mode preset is so color accurate and it defeats SVM. If the picture is too sharp with lower quality analog, then the Memory preset can be set up with different values where needed and still be SVM free. And the temp selections do aid with varying channel content.

My usual preference for analog cable viewing is the Memory Setting with Medium Temp. But for DVD I head straight to the Movie Mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks