What's new

Great deal on the Toshiba 27AF42 (1 Viewer)

david*mt

Second Unit
Bestbuy.com has it for $419.99 with a $100 mail-in rebate and free shipping. That comes to $319.99 before tax. A good deal if anyone is looking for a 27'' flat screen TV.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Thanks David,

Actually it's a super deal. I've been eyeing this at BB online for awhile now...waiting to see how low the price would get during the BB rebate period. It might go lower yet but $441 w/tax delivered to my door (free shipping) with yet a $100 rebate off of that is just too good to pass up. $341 for a quality flat screen is SWEEEEEEEEET!

Just since early December I've tried out several JVC TV's in the 27" size: 27S33, 2 x 27D303 all good sets but each having issues I couldn't get past. Was strongly considering the 27F703 or the Sony 27FS100. More features including the 'squeeze' but well over 100lbs each and both of these have their own issues anyway. I know the Tosh isn't perfect but geesh...and if it does have something I can't live with...hey! it's still returnable!

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Tust me guys. You won't regret getting the Toshiba. I have this set and it is the best 27" analog TV that exists. Bar none. The Sony's are jokes compared to it. The only thing it lacks is an anamorphic mode, but it's strengths outway that shortcoming.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hey Vegas Dave,

I have read as many reviews as I can find and in one or two of them I think someone mentioned the Tosh as having tilt correction like the Wega. Is this true? Also, I know that some people enter the Tosh service menu to adjust the V-compression for Widescreen DVD play but it sounds like a lot of trouble to bounce back and forth. Have you tried it and if so, is the adjustment process simple? I just bought mine online and because my local BB never seems to have this one on display, I haven't been able to try it out.

I know the Movie mode is best as it turns off the SVM. First I intend to check out the default calibrations and then see about any tweaking possibilities. I hope this series uses the same service menu entry.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I have done the V-compression through the service menu. It looks nice but it was way to much trouble for the benefits. I wouldn't bother fiddling with any of that stuff. Just be happy with the already great picture.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
If it is the same way as mine(24AF42) you enter the service menu by:

1. Turn the volume down all the way
2. push 9 on the remote while pushing down on the volume of the TV.
3. Edit yellow values AFTER copying them down. (I really improved the overall geometry although the parabola option is still not perfect. One side is always slightly more bent than the other.

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Ryan,
Do you know if the way you accessed the service menus on the 27AF42 is the same as the 32AF42?

I would assume so since I think the only nmajor difference in the sets would be tube size.

Would you mind telling us where you got the complete procedure for entering the service mode on the Toshiba?

Thanks,
Brian

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Ryan,

Thanks for the heads-up on my questions.:emoji_thumbsup:

Just got back from BB and whaddaya know...they actually had the darn thing on display.

I really like this set although the casing doesn't look as nice as the JVC or SONY IMO. But that is a small matter as:

Positives---

the picture is superb...and much smoother than any of the other sets viewed. Virtually no scan lines detectable, unlike Sony. Color is extremely accurate...not the set for folks who are used to color push. And it does have tilt :)
as well as a decent menu system. Between the Sound options, Color temps and Picture modes there is a lot from which to choose.

Negatives---

I do wish the remote were more user friendly such as having picture mode buttons available. You shouldn't have to enter the menu to select something like that for varying cable and satellite content. The competition handles such things better. Also the front AV input door mechanism looks to be about as sturdy as tissue. Oh well, you can't have everything.

My current JVC (27D303) has the XS-ID system and a few other niceties but at least the Tosh allows for channel labels. The JVC suffers from several non-correctable geometry issues which detract from overall enjoyment but is otherwise a great value. I do recommend it as a bedroom or second room set...but only if your cable/sat provider delivers a non-grainy picture as the JVC is very detailed even on minimum setting.

Thanks again everyone.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I am not sure where I got it for but I am almost CERTAIN it will work. Just make sure that, after the volume is all the way down, you push volume down(ON THE TV CONTROLS, NOT THE REMOTE) and push 9 on the remote TOGETHER.(Hold this for a couple seconds) Hope it works. WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Paul,

By saying it does have tilt do you mean tilt correction? Because, if it does, what is it labeled in the service menu?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Ryan,

Didn't go into the service menu at the store. I saw it in the user menu...forget which sub-menu...Setup, I think and it was the very last item on the secondary page. I was glad to see it as it means that this set really only lacks the 16:9 mode against the newer competition. The Sony has more powerful audio but that is a moot point with an HT setup.

My old plain-jane circa '90 GE 27" with 500 lines max on the S-Video channel had a very pleasing way of dealing with bad cable input. My eyes have gotten used to seeing a smooth picture...and after both viewing many sets and trying out a few in-home I'm very glad to see the Tosh delivers one. Can't wait 'til Friday.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Heads up on the 27AF42 service menu entry:

You use the old system found on this helpful site:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...rvicemenu.html

I tried the method described by Ryan in an earlier post but the older (step 1) Mute (remote) button--->(step 2) Mute and Menu (TV) button together did the trick. Just remember you have to turn the set off to exit the service mode. I copied all of the original settings and will see about correcting some obvious geometry issues tonight.

I can't believe how dumb the service menu layout is on the Toshiba...not meant to be consumer friendly, that's for sure. :D JVC was infinitely superior in this regard. :emoji_thumbsup: But the Tosh picture and overall set value at $341 delivered after rebate simply cannot be beat anywhere on the planet (please excuse the hyperbole :b ). After only a few hours with it, I am a very happy camper. I know it's just a 27" analog flat screen...not much by today's growing technology standards. But I love virtually everything about this darn thing right out of the box. Thanks to everyone who gave advice and opinions

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Glad you like it Paul. The color of the set is great isn't it? Best out of the box color of any analog TV IMO.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Glad you like it Paul. The color of the set is great isn't it? Best out of the box color of any analog TV IMO.
Hello David,

Darn tootin' it is! I know some folks who like their color images less accurate but geesh this thing is just super. I couldn't really tell my one time with it at BB under their typical horrifying viewing conditions. The in-house RF feed they were using was the pits and the lighting, well...no need to go there. Suffice it to say I was able to at least duplicate the same picture as the Sony KV27FS100 2 sets down with the user menu. That made me feel a lot better about my sight-unseen purchase as I've always liked the Sony Wega's even with their issues and idiosyncracies.

I love the REDS on this thing, no color bleed, very little color field noise. I just did some minor tweaking of the Geo.(can't really do that much there) and Picture with AVIA. I can't believe how freakin' accurate the color bars are on this right out of the box...RED and BLUE are less than -5% and Green is dead on. Fleshtones are simply first-rate.

You were 100% right about this set. Sure, I've already discovered a few quirks and 'wishtheywoulda's' but then nothing beats an accurate set, especially at the ridiculous low price with rebate. Thanks again for the early reassurance.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
You're right about in store comparisons. It is nothing like having the set at home, calibrated, and playing DVD's through s-video or component cables.

I tried to fix the geometry problems with the service menu also. I changed just about every setting possible and ended up leaving everything at the default values. There was nothing I could fix that didn't cause some other type of geometric anomoly. Did you have any luck with this?

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello David,

Sorry for the delay...had a busy day. Had to go tweak my Mother's new 20" Wega. Nice set but the Wega's just don't have the Toshiba natural look. I get tired of that 'glassy' appearance to everything. People don't go around 'shining' all the time. It does make for a bright and dynamic picture but the Sony SVM is a killer. Of course a lot of these issues can be addressed in the service and user menus. But the Tosh's don't seem to have those 'issues' to begin with.

I am doing a follow-up round of Geometry tweaking tonight. Haven't touched the picture and temp controls in the service menu yet as I haven't found anything I really want to change. I will post the factory settings and any changes I made on my particular set.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello again,

Ryan---Some of the parameters are easily figured out by their acronym and by simply making a change. TRAP, CNR, DPC, WID, LIN, HIT, VPOS, HPOS are examples. Others are more arcane and do not seem to have any changeable value which has any effect. Examples for me were CPAR, GMPS, VFC, HCP, VCP, and VPS.

Simply write them down as they come. Don't know about the 24" but the 27" has 36 items and they start out and group out as below: (Some grouping labels are just guesses)

RCUT 70H -Low Light
PBOF 17H -V/C/S
PROF 17H -V/C/S
PGOF 36H -V/C/S
PHUE 11H -V/C/S
PCOL 0FH -V/C/S
WBAN 1FH -?
SPEC 1EH -?
STRF 21H -Sound
STVC 27H -Sound
ATT 1CH -Sound
SAVC 2AH -?
CPAR 44H -GEO
GMPS 3FH -GEO
VFC 0FH -GEO
HCP 00H -GEO
TRAP 07H -GEO (Changed to 06H)
CNR 02H -GEO
DPC 10H -GEO
WID 13H -GEO
VCP 03H -GEO
VPS 01H -GEO
VSC 04H -GEO
LIN 08H -GEO
HIT 24H -GEO
VPOS 04H -GEO (Changed to 02H)
HPOS 18H -GEO ( " " 17H)
RGBB 0BH -V/C/S
TNTC 44H -V/C/S
COLC 3AH -V/C/S
BRTC 3AH -V/C/S
SCNT 0BH -V/C/S
BDRV 40H -HIGH LIGHT
GDRV 3DH -HIGH LIGHT
BCUT 95H -LOW LIGHT
GCUT A6H -LOW LIGHT

Again, these are my guesstimates and changes I settled on for my set after two sessions. I used AVIA exclusively and ran all geometry screens several times while tweaking. But certain GEO changes can only be truly appreciated by jumping to NTSC channels like CNN, CNBC, with tickers and scroll bars and/or the ubiquitous shopping channels to see the effect while tweaking. Some changes seem to be fine in AVIA but do not play out well in practice.

Good Luck.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
One last post on this set...I promise. :D

I don't know how many have already discovered this but this set has it's own sparse menu of internal calibration and geometry screens. I would assume the same is true of all sets in this series. They can be called up anytime you're in the service menu by hitting the TV/Video button. I used the one on the remote but I would think the set button would work as well. The first hit goes to black screen and then you cycle from there. I actually found the internal grid screens easier to use for geometry adjustment than Avia although the DVD is far more comprehensive.

Very cool.:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick_M

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a direct link to this or know if it is available in store. We need a new bedroom tv and this would fit our budget great. I can't find it on the website though, they only show the 27a42, which is not flat. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks