What's new

Great deal on Sony plasma KDE42XS955, how is this TV? (1 Viewer)

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I can get one for a really good price, practically wholesale, but the timetable is short. How does Sony compare to Panasonic or Pioneer?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
That model is as good as it gets. If the price is right, get it. Be aware, Sony has exited the plasma market in the US.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Sony has exited the plasma market because their sets never stacked up to the competition. Especially at their price points which leaned towards the higher portion of the poll. I would get a panny or pioneer over this sony any day. As far as bang for the buck, it doesn't get much better than Panasonic or LG. Check 'em out...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I looked at the 37xs955. I could have gotten it for less than 50% of MSRP. I passed for 2 reasons. 1) It uses something called Alis to essentially reproduce a 1024 vertical pixel count with only 512 actual pixels. Or something. Anyway, because of that, the blacks are not so great. 2) Over on AVS, it has the same reported changing black level problem the Panasonics have. OK, so I'll just buy a Panasonic instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks