What's new

Great deal at Sam's Club, or is it? (1 Viewer)

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Sam's Club is selling the Panasonic 51HX42 (non-widescreen) online for $1299 plus $140 shipping.
This is the same TV that can be had for no less than $1800 from any other online retailer.
I've been considering the Panasonic 53WX52 but this one has me wondering.
This size 4:3 TV, has the same width as the 47" widescreen. Would I then get the same picture quality or would it have less resolution? The reason I ask is because Panasonic is advertising the same horizontal resolution (lines per picture height) for the whole line (widescreen or not). That would put the widescreen ones at 33% more horizontally resolvable lines (1.78/1.33).
Is my statement correct?
Is there a real gain in resolution going widescreen (dis-regarding the whole aspect ratio thing).
One final question:
Do new model TV prices tend to remain constant until the next model starts coming in or do the taper down gradually throughout the year?
Much regards.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Manuel,
I'm not familiar with that set, but the price looks fantastic. Does it have a squeeze mode?
I have a 4:3 Sony HD RPTV. I can tell you that the beam size is optimized for the 16:9 mode, so that scan line overlap does not occur when squeezing, which would reduce vertical resolution. The ISF who calibrated my set agreed with this assessment.
Squeezing should not reduce horizontal resolution. I'd suspect that this set has the same guns as the 47" 16:9. Remember, every 16:9 (crt-based) RPTV has 4:3 guns inside, locked into a permanent squeeze.
As far as TVL per picture height, it is entirely possible that Panasonic is measuring it with the 4:3 sets in 16:9 mode. It is also possible that their marketing literature is inaccurate.
Man, that's a nice price. If I didn't already have my set I'd be looking real close at that one.

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
The set does have a squeeze mode which they call "Selectable 16:9 Mode" check it out at the Panasonic website:
Link Removed
I don't know how well Panasonic does the squeeze.
About the horizontal resolution, I would like to know more, though.
Anyone care to comment on this issue?
Would I be missing out on quality or otherwise by going with this one instead of a widescreen of the same width?
Thanks

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, for good or for bad, this one has the built-in protective screen (I have a little one, so I need it).

Tim_B

Agent
Manuel,

I do not know the particulars of the 51" Panny. However, you can find the 53wx42 online, shipping included for $1709. You will get a much larger screen than the 51" panny (especially when viewing 16:9).

Manuel Parrado

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Tim, but it is potentially a difference of $400 if the set can be picked up at a local Sam's for the same price and comfortable return policy.
Well worth considering. Plus you don't have to put up with the stretch modes for TV viewing.
Can anyone pitch in on the resolution issue mentioned above?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks