Great Dd/dts Test

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Glenn Guerra, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

I think I have a good example of the difference between the two audio formats for the people who really can't hear a difference. Grant it the over all difference is probably small, barely noticeable, if at all and I know the debates on that issue.

However, i did a small test at home. In the movie jaws DTS version, right after the opening underwater sequence where the title comes up, we get a shot of the beach with kids smoking and singing, playing guitar etc by a bonfire. on the DD version you can hear hints of a fire crackling, but switch to the DTS version and WOW! bright crisp and clear crackling of the fire. I was amazed at the difference. Try it and you;'ll see.

I don't know if it depends on the quality of recievers speakers etc.......... but would assume a difference can be heard by all.

Let me know.

Thanx!

2. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I think dts is a little louder anyway. Best movie for comparrison is saving privite ryan.

3. Glenn Guerra

Glenn Guerra Extra

try it. You'll see what I mean[​IMG]

4. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

You can't compare DD and DTS soundtracks since they're often mixed by different sound engineers.

5. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

------------

You can't compare DD and DTS soundtracks since they're often mixed by different sound engineers.

------------

Correct, also, in some cases the DD and DTS tracks on a DVD are taken from diiferent masters (eg. Haunting DTS =24bit, DD =16bit master, Gladiator, Jurassic Park 3) so you are not comparing the two formats but comparing two different mixes of the soundtrack.

------------

I think dts is a little louder anyway.

-----------

Yes, it usually is by around 4db, match the levels using an SPL meter before making comparisons.

Harry.

6. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Yeah, you wanna compare the codecs, try Twister!

Good luck!