Great budget speaker deal.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kelly N, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

Just thought I'd share a deal. Many of you have owned, heard, or read about a somewhat suprising little speaker from Radio Shack, the Pro-LX550 (or it's previous versions, the LX5 and LX55). You don't really think about Radio Shack when you think about "good " speakers, and these little jewels seem quite out of place on the RCA wall with all of the other cheap wood veneer, spring-clipped speakers that fill out the remainder of the Shack's offerings.
    They have been reviewed by a number of hometheater magazines including "Home Theater Magazine" a few years ago. They have always received pretty decent reviews especially considering their price @ $149.95 ea., and on sale at least a couple of times a year @ $99.99 ea. They are currently being cleared out of Radio Shack's inventory and are priced @ $39.95 ea !!!

For those that aren't familiar with them, they are a bookshelf speaker in a very strudy enclosure with equally sturdy five-way binding posts. They feature a 5" (or 5 1/2", I'm not sure) woofer/mid-range that appears to be made of a yellow woven kevlar in a ported enclosure. The high point of this speaker is the Lineaum 360 degree tweeter that sits atop the speaker under an odd little basket. The really are far and away the best $40 speaker I know of anywhere. Ideal for those wanting to get started on a budget or those who want a second small-ish surround sound set-up.

I am told, though I haven't investigated, that there are a couple of web pages devoted to inexpensive modifications to really tweak these speakers. If anyone knows of these mods, let me know.

For those wanting to read some "real people" reviews you can check some out at
    http://www.audioreview.com/pscSpeake...4_1594crx.aspx

Keep in mind that these reviews are for all three models, the older LX5 and LX55 as well as the latest and greatest, LX550. Also keep in mind what these reviewers paid for theirs compared to $40.

2. Tyler Cookson

Tyler Cookson Stunt Coordinator

their website doesnt even have them listed. called all local radio shacks, they dont have them either (never heard of them)

3. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

In my experience, when Radio Shack puts something on clearance they have pulled it from the website and even from their instore computer inventory system. It happened with two items over the course of a couple of years. They had a pair of 6' audio interconnects and some two pair of 20' 12ga banana plugged speaker wires that were pretty decent that were originally priced at $19.99 each. When they decided to get rid of them they dropped the price to $5.99. I bought every one I could get my hands on. I had the part number memorized and I called all of the stores in my area. They checked their computers and no one had any. But when I went to the stores I found that six of them did actually have cables. Even when I checked out they weren't showing up as inventory. Some of the stores weren't even aware that they had been marked down. When I asked them to check on the price through the computer, low and behold, indeed the price had been dropped. This is only in corporately owned Radio Shack stores though, not the mom and pop hardware store that has a Radio Shack in it.
    I'll try to go take and post some pics of the speakers and post them on my website with a link here.

4. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Here is the site you referenced - LX-5 Mods:

http://www.gti.net/wallin/audio/audio.html

Yes, the speaker is a nice deal at that price. The original model is highly sought after. Do a search on eBay and you'll find them being traded all the time. I have a pair of the second generation and they are okay. You can find the Linaeum tweeters also on discontinued Toshiba and Aura speakers. Do a search for Linaeum and you'll turn them up in auctions. I love the Aura bookshelfs, better than the LX-5's IMHO. I would like to hear the floorstanding models with the 360 degree Linaeum. I have seen those go for less than $120 a pair.

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Most RadioShack employees won't know the name of the speakers. Ask them if they have the speakers with the black flimsy tweeter thing on the top or just stop in and look. If they aren't on display show them a picture of what might be sitting around in the back. I worked in a RS store long enough to know the typical employee/store environment...

- Dan Hine

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Yesterday I saw the RCA LX550 on sale at my local Radio Shack for $49.95/each. That's an excellent price for a very, very good speaker. Don't let the name Radio Shack or RCA scare you away, these are quality speakers that have a cult following. Check out Ken Kessler's listening room....he has a whole array of the LX550 along his walls as surround speakers.

Here's another webpage for LX550 mods.

BTW, matching center channel for the LX550 is $39.95/each now.

7. Max:P

Max:P Auditioning

I checked my local stores and none of them had any... if anyone can still find these for $40 I'll buy 3 sets for $60 each if you wanna send them to me [​IMG]

8. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

Max, would you like three pair or three speakers ?
    Let me know. I believe I can handle that for you.

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I looked for them as well, no dice!!!

10. Kelly N

Kelly N Agent

Max
    I have picked up three so far today. I only got three since I haven't talked to you yet. I have a friend that will take them if you don't want them, but they are yours first if you'd like them. Let me know if you want them and if you want three more. Some of these are, of course, going to be the floor models because they are all that's left. Two of the ones that I have are a bit scuffed on the bottom only. The other sides, drivers, grills, and 5-way binding posts all look good.

11. Max:P

Max:P Auditioning

So i guess the $40 is for each speaker? I was assuming they were sold in pairs (who buys a single speaker?) But I need a total of 6 speakers.

12. Brandon A

Brandon A Agent

Any chance these are still around? Or would they have sold out rather quickly?