Great Amp For Less

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nico, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Wanting to go to separate. Try to be wise on money available. Have $1500 to get 3-channel SS amp from reputable "audiophile" brand. Will be mated with denon avr2802 (for now [​IMG] ). The amp will also be used to drive center speaker for HT (hence 3-channel). I believe I can get a really good amp at this price range. I like to have one that is able to drive 4-ohm speakers easily with minimal distortion and, and grow (don't upgrade as many times) with the rest of the system, and sounds [​IMG]GREAT[​IMG]--one I don't regret buying after a year or so. Prefer to get one at less than $1000 so I can save money to buy tubed CDP :p). Depending on future budget, I am looking at speakers like GR AV1+, VMPS RM1, nOrh 5.1, Odyssey Circe, Divas, etc. Any recommendation would be appreciated.

2. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Nico:

I recently purchased a used Aragon 8008x3 for $1200. I couldn't recommend it more highly. 200w into 8 ohms, 400 into 4 ohms, full class A operation and more than capable of driving the most complex speaker load.

3. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Although they are out now, I've been told that ubid will have some more new 8008x3B's arriving in the next couple of months. (A good friend had his order fouled up by ubid and they are pre-allocating his units out of the next delivery). These were going for $1200-$1300 plus ubid's rip-off shipping. They will probably do the same when the next batch arrives.

4. Todd_Michael_R

Todd_Michael_R Stunt Coordinator

How about a 5-channel Sherbourn 5/1500A? Retail is $2K but I know you can find them for between $1350 and $1600.

200Wx5 into 8 and 300Wx5 into 4. Not only do you get 5 channels now, but if you want to add 2 more channels down the road, you can get the model 2/600A which uses the same monoblock design and amps as the 5/1500A ensuring a good match of power across all your channels.

Good luck!

5. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

Other takers?

6. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

(Assuming you'd buy used) You might find a McCormack HT1 if you look hard. Krell, Proceed and Bryston make 3-ch amps but may be a bit pricier. Use 3 of the 4 channels on a Citation 7.1. Bridge a 6-ch such as a Classe CAV75. Lots of good choices.

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The Aragon recommendation was good, I'd second it.

8. Ritesh_M

Ritesh_M Extra

Aragon all the way. what is the list price on the aragon ? around $2500 to $3k ??

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Guys,

How hot does the Aragon get?

Isn't the Citation 7.1 with four channels a better deal than the Aragon?

10. Shawn O

Shawn O Stunt Coordinator

I would also have to recommend the Aragon.

11. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I have a Bryston 5B-ST 3ch amp that I am wanting to sell. It can power tough ohm loads without a hitch, in fact currently hooked up to speakers that dip to 3.7 ohms.

It has I believe 18 yrs on transferable warranty, and is in "like new" condition (no damage, just usage) with original box and all of its included materials.

Contact me by email if you are interested. I am trying to go into tubes for my new speakers.

The Bryston is a very solid amp and one that I had planned on always holding on to in my home theater system for at least the next 18 years. It is amazing the peace of mind that a 20 year warranty gives you. But then I decided to move away from Home Theater for now, and dedicate my system to improved 2-channel. In order to do this however, I have been forced to liquidate alot of stuff, the Bryston being the next in line. So again email me if you are interested.