Grease

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee_eel, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Can anyone tell me what the Laserdisc version of Grease is like transfer wise please, as i have heard that it will be used as the master for the upcoming dvd release.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Laserdisc looked pretty decent. The DVD will be taken from the Anniversary re-issue job, which I saw theatricaly a number of years ago, and it looked good.

Dan

3. Michael St. Clair

I've heard the audio is overprocessed and sucks.

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I never saw the LD, but theatrically the audio was ok. Sound wise I shouldn't imagine the DVD would be any different to the LD.

Dan

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

For me, the PCM track on the Laserdisc is easily preferred over the tinny and flat DD mix, which unless Paramount do some remastering will probably be replicated on the DVD. The PCM track will, of course, be absent. Picture quality on the LD isn't comparable to anamorphic DVD, however.

6. Chris Dugger

Chris Dugger Supporting Actor

The remastered WS laserdisc was excellent video wise (with the exception of the video masking done to remove product placement), but the audio (5.1) was horrible.

Paramount missed the boat when they remixed this for theatres... Even the 5.1 in movie theaters was over processed with reverb that made it nearly impossible to understand the lyrics.

Dugger

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I decided to buy the R4 version to escape from the POS packaging the the R1 version is going to use. Ezy DVD is shipping it in a keepcase, something I confirmed with their customer servive before ordering it.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jeff,unfortunately it will suffer from PAL Speedup, which for a musical is frankly horrific given that pitch, tone and tempo are all altered

9. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

So download cover art and drop 50 cents on a keepcase

11. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Buying the R4 version is just my own very, very small way of sending a message(Which probably will not make much difference, if it is noticed at all) to the Studios about their packaging decisions. If more people did that sort of thing perhaps there might be a rethink about that sort of non-standard packaging. Besides I'm saving a few bucks with the currency conversion from Aussie $$ to US $$. [​IMG]

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Supporting Actor

"...PAL Speedup, which for a musical is frankly horrific given that pitch, tone and tempo are all altered."
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ...etcetera, etcetera, and so forth
    (signed) Tin-Eared, Bleary-Eyed Old Geezer With No 'Feel' For Rhythm - Who Neverteheless Derives Great Pleasure From His Many, Many PAL LDs[°] And PAL DVDs[°°] Of Stage And Film Musicals, Operas, Concerts, Ballets...
    [°]...e.g.: "Easter Parade" - "The Band Wagon" - "Gloriana" - "Peter Grimes" - the 6-disc Glenn Gould Collection...
    [°°]...e.g.: "Oklahoma!" - "Heathcliff" - "Notre Dame de Paris" - Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake"

. . .

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I could not have said it any better Hendrik! Thanks!
    [​IMG]

14. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

15. Jim Ogilvie

Jim Ogilvie Stunt Coordinator

I bought the R4 Grease today, and just finished watching it.
    It was terrific!
    I am very glad that I looked at this thread after having seen the film on DVD. I might have tried to convince myself that there was some kind of speed up problem (I tend to be more open to that kind of suggestion than I should!)
    It was a very nice presentation. On the sound, I did notice that the bass was really emphasised, more so than I remember any other time that I had watched it.
    I also flipped back and forth between the three different language tracks, and noticed that the musical numbers were MUCH punchier on the non english tracks. Hmmm. I really do wonder what was going on there.
    Anyone know why the difference?

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

How do you rate the video presentation on the DVD Mr Ogilvie? Is it as good or better than other really good DVDs that you have seen or is it not as good? I have an R4 version on the way. If I may ask what R4 retailer did you use & was it in a keepcase or the other POS packaging? Thanks a lot. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Jim Ogilvie

Jim Ogilvie Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff!
    I must admit to being a little bit shy when it comes to giving others my opinion on video quality. I say this because after viewing so many messages on here from those who find fault with pictures I find to be wonderful, then I fear perhaps I am a little too forgiving.
    Having said that, the image looked great on my Sony plasma. Its the best transfer that I have ever owned, although I never managed to get my hands on the laserdisc so I guess saying that it is superior to the VHS doesnt mean much. [​IMG]
    I found the image really very clear, and there was no noticeable dirt or specs of any kind. I didn't find myself at any time saying that I found the image lacking, or overly enhanced in any way. I did notice the colours were not terribly saturated - but to me thats how I remember this film being presented initially (not a lot of bold, bright or deep colour going on at all).
    I just walked into an HMV to pick this up, they had stacks of 'em. I've never been familiar with the packaging terms (snapper, keep case, etc - as far as I am concerned, they all snap, and they all keep the disc!)
    I've never seen packaging used here that isn't the 100% plastic all around case, as opposed to the cardboard one with the plastic snap bar that wraps to the front, which so many of my DVD's from Canada/US are in. This disc is uses the complete 100% plastic animal. Is that what a keep case is?
    I doubt very much that you will be disappointed. At least, I hope you won't. The extras on the disc (interviews with cast members) are fairly short, but great just the same. You get an absolutely clear picture that the entire cast had the time of their lives making this movies. Interviews include John Travolta, Olivia Newton John, Stockard Channing, Didi Conn and Jeff Conaway. There is a particular part where Olivia talks about the premiere party and after premiere party. Let me know what you think when they show what she wears to the "after" party. If you liked "bad Sandy" from Grease, you'll love this. [​IMG]

18. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Thanks for the more in depth review Jim! Now if I can just get the R4 merchant to ship my DVD I'll be able to enjoy it soon.

19. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

for us peasants in PAL land [​IMG], we've grown up with Olivia and Mr Travolta singing a little higher than normal on TV for countless number of years (OK, I could count, but I'm in denial)
    So the PAL DVD *is* my reference soundtrack. If I buy the US one, Ms Neutron-Bomb will sound like a man.

20. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

I just don't buy into all this Pal speed up rubbish. Voices sound fine to me as do soundtracks. Thats enough for me!