Grease/Saturday Night Fever packaging

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Anyone else think Paramount's packaging for their "Grease" & "Saturday Night Fever" DVDs a bad idea? I'd even prefer a snap case to these slip cases.

2. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

What exactly is the reasoning for giving certain "warehouse club" style stores the traditional keepcase packaging versus the general public? Is the presumption that video store operators are going to be buying their copies from these stores and prefer the keepcase for the rental shelves? Is this also why, when I've gone to Hollywood Video, found keepcase layout packaging (studio made, not scanned and reformatted by the store) for snapper-packaged movies like OCEAN'S ELEVEN or double-size jackets like THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS?

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

These releases also are in "slim" digipacks:

Audition(1999)
    Panic Room

Technically X-Men also came in a single digipack but thanks to all the cardboard used, its about the same thickness as a standard single DVD case.

And Costco & Sam's Club use "long boxes" to display and protect a large portion of their DVD inventory from theft. Slim digipacks don't fit very well inside these long boxes.

4. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

Mark, what other kind of case does the Royal Tennanbaums come in? The only one that I have seen is the double-amaray.

5. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

I was in TARGET today and took a look at the Saturday Night Fever disc. I'm usually not too critical about packaging, I even like snappers, but the slipcase did seem really crappy. I had picked up GREASE from a wholesale club in a keepcase but they did not have SNF out yet so I think I'll wait until I can get it in a keepcase.

-Gary

6. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

Yes, I agree. I would much rather that they have used an Alpha keepcase (my favorite), something that is easier to open, less susceptible to damage, and replaceable in the event that anything happens to it.

RD

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Against my better judgement I picked up SNF yesterday, and as expected the case is junk. I got the only one of 100 discs that was actually folded correctly, and had to fight with it to get the inner sleeve out. I'm sure this saves Paramount a ton in shipping and warehousing, but as a consumer I loathe these things. Having one of these cheap packages at least allows me to be fair ubn my criticism, but I'm not going to get Grease or any other title in these cases.

8. Steve O

Steve O Stunt Coordinator

Slipcases = Garbage
    I bought Grease. The packaging is junk. The studios should be ashamed. What did they save, ... $0.10?? Raise the price by twenty cents and I'll gladly pay for decent packaging.
    [​IMG]

9. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Both the Blockbuster and Hollywood video stores that I have frequented have had THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS in a single-disc keepcase, and not in the double-size keepcase that the title has been sold in. I figured this was a concession made by the studios to the rental stores.
    I'm not lucky enough to belong to Costco, and I cannot in good conscience give any money to any Sam Walton enterprise, so I will have to get a friend with those connections to pick up a keepcase edition of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER.

10. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Well, I rarely get upset about packaging although I do like to see things well presented. In this case though, the packaging does stink! What were they thinking? These are movies that will likely get a lot of play. That is going to take it's toll on the flimsy packaging. A big double [​IMG] [​IMG] .

N

11. Paul-Gunther

Paul-Gunther Stunt Coordinator

My decision to not buy Grease was based solely on the packaging, to be honest. I was on the fence about buying it, but once I saw the packaging, I made the decision to pass it up.

12. Lafe F

Lafe F Second Unit

How does Paramount justify this terrible packaging? Cost-saving?

The tabs are not folded correctly, and the end flap is slipping out. Worse, the security sticker made it really hard to slide the tray out of the sleeve.

Saturday Night Fever has a different case than Staying Alive, so they don't match. I'm big on matching.

13. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Quick!
    How do you open SNF.
    Thanks, as I am waiting to play disc tonight.

14. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer