Grayscale Problem on Toshiba RPTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Benjamin>J, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Benjamin>J

Benjamin>J Auditioning

Hello everyone,
    I've been reading this forum for a while to help with my TV choice, and I decided on a Toshiba 42h82. Well, after a couple of months I began to notice that on the rightmost 15% of the screen there was a reddish tint to Whites and Blacks. This was most noticible when the color Temp. was set to warm, but still a little tint remained on the cool setting.
    Well, I did some research through the threads here and decided that it might be a grayscale problem. But though I searched for it, I never noticed if this problem affected only the side that the Red Gun is on, or if it affected the whole screen?
    I called the local Toshiba Repairman, and he told me that "some TV's do that, some Magnavox's even have a blue tint to everything on the left side". They said they would send out someone to take a look, but this guy doesn't seem tooooo knowledgeable on the subject, so I'm leary of his technician messing with my set. So I guess my question is 1. Does this sound like a grayscale problem? And 2. Do some tv's "just do that" and there isn't anything you can do to fix them?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The problem you see is pretty much inherent on all crt based RPTV's. They are all like that to some degree.

There is a cure however. It is called Lens Striping. By selectively placing electrical tape over strategic parts of the crt surface, you can pretty much eliminate much of it.

The Keohihdtv site has information on how to do this so go there and read up about it. If you have any questions, come back here and we will answer them.

You can do it by eye or with instrumentation.

Regards

3. Benjamin>J

Benjamin>J Auditioning

All right, I finally was able to do this striping thing, and it pretty much got rid of the red tint!!! [​IMG]

Thanks a lot Michael, I appreciate your help.