What's new

Gray Lady Down (1978) coming from Shout! Factory 4/24/18 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/gray-lady-down?product_id=6688

Charlton Heston, David Carradine, and Ned Beatty star in the suspense-packed undersea drama Gray Lady Down. When a nuclear submarine, the U.S.S. Neptune, accidentally collides with a freighter, Captain Paul Blanchard and his crew find themselves trapped far below the surface. With only enough oxygen to sustain his crew for 48 hours, Blanchard must buy enough time for a risky rescue operation via an experimental and untested vessel.

Stacy Keach, Ronny Cox, and Christopher Reeve also star in this riveting adventure of man and machine versus time and the elements ... with life and death as the stakes.

Product Information
DISCS 1
RUN-TIME 111 min
ASPECT RATIO 2.35:1
COLOR Color
LANGUAGE English
REGION A
RATING PG
PRODUCTION DATE 1978
CLOSED-CAPTIONED No
SUBTITLES English

GLD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Hadn't realized this was out on Blu-Ray now and picked it up. I've always found this an underrated gem as it gave us an understated kind of disaster film during the tail-end of that cycle in the late 70s, plus it is in a sense Charlton Heston's last A-list starring role. Add to that, seeing Christopher Reeve in the cast in a minor role (in scenes with Ned Beatty no less!) just months before he got the role that changed his life and some other good supporting performances I find it still holds up.

The trailer, which is included as an extra in the release reveals a brief glimpse of a cut scene from the movie, showing Rosemary Forsyth (as Heston's wife, whose screen time in the final cut consists of one scene and two sentences lasting ten seconds) nervously sipping a coffee cup listening to a radio report of the attempted rescue of the submarine.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn

Charlton Heston, David Carradine, and Ned Beatty star in the suspense-packed undersea drama Gray Lady Down. When a nuclear submarine, the U.S.S. Neptune, accidentally collides with a freighter, Captain Paul Blanchard and his crew find themselves trapped far below the surface. With only enough oxygen to sustain his crew for 48 hours, Blanchard must buy enough time for a risky rescue operation via an experimental and untested vessel.

Stacy Keach, Ronny Cox, and Christopher Reeve also star in this riveting adventure of man and machine versus time and the elements ... with life and death as the stakes.

Product Information
DISCS 1
RUN-TIME 111 min
COLOR Color
LANGUAGE English
REGION A
RATING PG
PRODUCTION DATE 1978
CLOSED-CAPTIONED No
SUBTITLES English

GLD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

Product Information
DISCS 1
RUN-TIME 111 min
COLOR Color
LANGUAGE English
REGION A
RATING PG
PRODUCTION DATE 1978
CLOSED-CAPTIONED No
SUBTITLES English

GLD.BR.Cover.72dpi.png
Picture quality : 8/10
Sound : 6/10

Excellent music score by the great Jerry Fielding makes the movie even better.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This movie is about as exciting as the sinking of a kid's toy boat in the bathtub. I was so disappointed when I left the theater. Good cast, lousy script. Sorry, commander...my opinion. :)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I like this (if you're stuck in a submarine, then Heston's you man). I bought the German release last year, although truth be told I haven't got around to watching it yet. Around the same time, Germany released another seventies Universal film, The Great Waldo Pepper (1975), also looking very nice, I'm surprised that it hasn't had an American release yet.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Picture quality is terrific. I noticed a lot of details I hadn't seen before over the years in previous viewings. The underwater F/X shots have more clarity too for the first time.

Universal lost confidence in the film after they finished making it. The bulk of it was shot in late 1976, early 1977 (the sea rescue scenes involving the Navy were done simultaneously with the scenes for "Airport '77") and then they shelved the movie's release by nearly a year.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Yea, nice looking title and I like most of Heston's films ( favorite all time film Ben Hur) but this one just isn't very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks