What's new

"Gray" component Video (1 Viewer)

David-S

Second Unit
Hey all, i've been reading here forever, but just got a theater, so now it's time to start posting :D
My question is, i've hooked up my DVD player straight to the TV, using component video cables... i get a great picture, but it's in B/W!!! (well, grayscale technically)...
it worked fine using just the "video" cable, but now w/ the component cable, all i get is black and white...
it's a panasonic CV-51 DVd player, hooked up to a panasonic 36" tv...
would appreciate any help, thanks!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you sure your TV has component video in? Greyscale is the image portion of the component cable, the other two are color and tint basically (chroma and luminance?), and it would seem that they are missing. Perhaps you hooked it up wrong or what you are plugging them into is not really a component video connection. The cable you are using could also be bad. What model TV?

Kevin P

Screenwriter
This may sound dumb, but you did hook up all three cables (Y, Pr, Pb), right? If you only hook up Y, you'll get a B&W picture.

Also, does your TV have a component input? Or did you look the three cables to a set of composite Video/L+R Audio jacks? If you do this you'll get a B&W picture. Component jacks are usually marked Y, Pr, Pb or Y, Cr, Cb, and are usually colored differently from composite jacks (if the jacks are yellow, red, and white, these AREN'T component video inputs!).

If the cables are hooked up correctly and you still get a B&W picture, then maybe the cable, the component output on your DVD player, or the component input on your TV is defective.

KJP

David-S

Second Unit
Thanks for your help guys, turns out i was either knocking out one of the cables when i put my svideo in, or when i moved the tv back on its stand... appreciate the quick responses though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks