Gray bars to black on Toshiba 34" widescreen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill-Wheeler, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Bill-Wheeler

Bill-Wheeler Auditioning

Anyone know how?

2. Bill-Wheeler

Bill-Wheeler Auditioning

BUMP.Someone must know how.....

3. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Bill:

Sorry, I cannot help you, as I am not familiar with that set.

And, I do hope someone chimes in. This may be a service menu item, or it may even be that it is not possible to change -- I simply do not know.

However, I just wanted to make certain you are aware that the gray bars were chosen by the manufacturer because they usually lessen the risk of potential for "uneven phosphor wear," and if you do change to black, this risk is likely to increase, overall. (Note: this does not mean it will occur, and that you will end up with uneven phosphor wear. It merely means it will somewhat increase the risk.)

That said, surely someone around here knows the Toshiba sets, and knows whether this change is an option.

Best of luck,
    -Bruce in Chi-Town

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I know this is possible with the Toshiba RPTV's as I have seen the directions on how to do it. The 34" may work the same and have the same service menu registers.
    You can give this a try, but do so at your own risk.

5. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i would love to change the grey bars to black on my RCA F38310, but from what i've heard even service menu adjustments can't do it. I'd imagine it might be the same for the toshiba.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

7. Ken Ingram

Ken Ingram Stunt Coordinator

Sean how do you like your Rca 38310?
    I've heard they have a fantastic Picture but have reliability problems. I went to look at one last week at Circuit city but there set was in for repairs,do you recomend that set.
    I've had a RCA 36" tv for 10 years and haven't had one problem yet.

8. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

yeah i love my F38310, especially for dvd's and HD. Regular s-video directivo leaves a lot to be desired, but video games look really good (even through s-video actually) - basically any already compressed signal on a direct view HD signal at any regular sitting distance can have the potential to look crummy. but as far as reliability i bought a newer model F38310 and have had no problems. i have some minor geometry problems on all the inputs except the internal HD, but they are minor and i don't want an rca tech fooling around with it and could probably fix it myself in the service menu if i learned a little more about the pincuchion adjustments.