Gray bars for 4:3 viewing have changed size?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Phil Carter, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Hi folks,

I own a Mitsubishi 48" WS-48413 widescreen 16x9 RPTV and am very happy with it for the most part. (Discovered an overscan issue a couple of days ago, but Gregg Loewen's going to take care of that with a calibration in March).

This I just noticed a day or two ago, though. I was going to watch some of the extras on one of my DVDs, so I switched the set's format to "Narrow", which is Mitsu's term for "4:3 with vertical gray bars on the sides". And then I blinked and rubbed my eyes, because the bars weren't the same size anymore.

Previously the image had been centered exactly in the screen, with vertical gray bars of the same size on both left and right edges. But suddenly the image isn't centered anymore and the gray bar on the right is wider than the one on the left, by at least two or three inches.

What the hell? Did I sit on the TV remote and change something I shouldn't'a? Is this a convergence issue? Or has the bar on the right ALWAYS been larger than the one on the left and I just haven't noticed very well? (I don't watch a lot of 4:3 stuff, preferring to watch what I bought the TV for: movies). [​IMG]

Any ideas would be most welcome.

cheers,
    Phil

2. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

Phil,by coincidence I noticed a similar thing just today. It's different than yours but wierd enough to mention.
    I noticed that my OTA digital cable stations that appear with black vertical bars had the bar on the right maybe 1" wider than the left.This is with a 34" XBR910. But then I found that most other stations were OK and all non 16:9 HDTV broadcasts requiring bars were also OK. So I figure my TV is OK. Did you see problems with broadcasts too or just with the DVD?

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Phil, Mitsubishis for the past few years shift the 4:3 area slightly every time you turn it on. This is a good thing; it helps prevent a demarcation line between the 16:9 & 4:3 areas from burning in.

4. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Stephen, thanks for the heads-up, but it appears the right side is still several inches larger than the right side. I'll talk to Gregg about it when he comes for the calibration.

Mark, I can't say because the gray bars only appear when you set the TV's mode to "Narrow" manually. Guess your TV works differently from mine. [​IMG]

Anybody else see different-sized gray bars? I'm curious.

cheers,
    Phil

5. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

Eh? I'll assume you meant "left side" at the end of the sentence.

When the 4:3 area shifts, of course the bar on one side will get smaller and the bar on the other side will get larger, since the set is using grey to cover up the part not showing the 4:3 picture. Sometimes it'll be centered, sometimes the right bar will be bigger, sometimes the left bar will be bigger.

This is completely normal on Mitsubishi sets.

6. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil

I see, but what had concerned me was that the last several times I had switched the set to Narrow mode, the bars had been exactly the same size -- larger on the right, smaller on the left. From what I understand you to be saying, though, they may shift again randomly at some point in the future.

What had disturbed me was the fact that this shift seemed to happen overnight when the bars had always been exactly the same size on both sides before, and that the "larger on the right" thing seemed to be continuing unchanged. I worried that I had somehow knocked a control out of adjustment and didn't know what to do to fix it.

Anyway, if it's a random shift, I expect it'll go back to "centered" eventually, or the left bar may start showing up larger than the right one. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks again for the clarification.

cheers,
    Phil

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

If you are messing around in the service modes the set will reset to centered when you exit, which might explain why you didn't notice it shifting before, if you were doing a lot of adjustments. Afterwards, I think it changes every time you power cycle. Or something like that.