What's new

Gravity (2013) (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Well, there we disagree. They should strive to do both (more especially when the genre and tone of the film calls for a degree of realism.)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
Well, there we disagree. They should strive to do both (more especially when the genre and tone of the film calls for a degree of realism.)

- Walter.
Yes, we do disagree as the filmmaker should strive to entertain his audience first and foremost. If he has to bend the rules of science to enhance the storyline or film going experience then so be it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A friend of mines daughter is studying for her PH. D. at Purdue. Her take on the film is the same as many astronauts so far...​
"Sure I can see the plot holes being millions of miles wide, but I've already seen it 6 times, three in the same day."​

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Walter Kittel said:
Well, there we disagree. They should strive to do both (more especially when the genre and tone of the film calls for a degree of realism.)- Walter.
Tino said:
SPOILERTo me the last shot of the film was simply......*******
Wayne_j said:
I vote for Adventure/Drama. It is too close to current technology for it to actually be sci-fi. If it didn't take place in space nobody would be calling it sci-fi.
But it did, so there are no what if's.
Robert Crawford said:
Most films are made to entertain people and not to be 100% accurate as far as the laws of science are concern.
Robert Crawford said:
I disagree, the filmmakers should be focused on making an entertaining film. If they do that then to hell with the nitpicking about scientific accuracy as only a small minority would care about such accuracy.
The last scenes in the movie were pretty clear that it was
Gravity, as we heard Bullock let out a tiny chuckle if you will, when she feels it.Also she lived. I had some thoughts that when Clooney reappeared that she may have died but I was leaning more to hallucination.
Also I agree with Robert about the technical side of the movie.Im not a scientist or an astronaut so I have no idea about the accuracy of any of it and don't care.Plus this isnt a documentary it's a movie, a fiction that is meant to entertain not educate.I loved it and was squirming in my seat the whole movie.Saw it in the Atmos theater in Downtown Disney Orlando.This was a completely emmersive experience, from the 3D that provided visual depth to the Atmos sound that provided full surround envelopement.In the beginning the voices were coming from from everywhere.When Bullock and Clooney were talking and Clooney was flying around, his voice was traveling around the entire theater and I swear there were speakers under the seats.This was the best sound I ever heard for a movie, not even close.3D was good but I did see some doubling(shodowing, ghosting?) on straight things, mostly vertical things on the space stations and shuttle.This is great storytelling and needs to be seen on the biggest screen you can in 3D, Atmos if you have it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Oh, one more thing. NO movie will ever be completely accurate, historically or scientifically.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad that this film has turned out to be the prevailing film (after just a few worthy candidates, like Avatar, Hugo and Life of Pi) that needs to be seen in 3D (and not just post-converted to 3D as a cash-grab by the studios).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Tino said:
I don't know about " shaky cam" but there is a lot of vertigo inducing visual effects in the film. My wife said she was a bit queasy in the beginning but got used to it.YMMV
I'm one to often get nauseous at shaky-cam films - anything from Paul Greengrass, "Blair Witch", "Battle: LA" all did me in! - but I had no problem with "Gravity". Saw it 3D on a big Regal "RPX" screen and didn't experience any motion sickness issues, thankfully!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. Regal Tysons is pretty close (I'm in Ashbburn, five minutes from the Alamo). I'm trying for a second viewing with a former coworker; I'll see if he wants to do Tysons instead of Alamo.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Thanks. Regal Tysons is pretty close (I'm in Ashbburn, five minutes from the Alamo). I'm trying for a second viewing with a former coworker; I'll see if he wants to do Tysons instead of Alamo.
One word of possible warning: bring earplugs! I saw "Good Day to Die Hard" at the Tysons Atmos screen and it was the loudest movie I'd ever heard. That might've been an anomaly - or they might always keep it cranked up like that!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Good tip. Pacific Rim at the Alamo was practically deafening. I have earplugs in case it's dialed up to 12 :)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Robert Crawford said:
Yes, we do disagree as the filmmaker should strive to entertain his audience first and foremost. If he has to bend the rules of science to enhance the storyline or film going experience then so be it.
Agreed whole heartedly. Accuracy and great film making can be mutually exclusive. I consider Inglorious Basterds great, entertaining film making, but I'm pretty sure that Hitler and his goons weren't assasinated by Aldo Raine and company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks